Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

Restoring and Detailing old Athearn Canadian Pacific SD40-2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I have 2 of these to restre/rejuvenate/update.

One of them dates from the 1980's and has details applied that were available at the time.

Over the time since the model has been well used (and abused) both paint and details now need a refresh or replace.

These are the stock Athearn models of 5415 and 5637.

I know that the detailing parts used on 5415 were not accurate, but they were what was available at the time from MGS.

I will also need some new bogie sideframes as the existing ones are cracked and spliting - even afer using epoxy to try and save them.

Where to start?

Looking at what was done in the past....

Replace light units. add bell, change/add plough to both ends, add etched plates to footwalks, replace handrail stanchions, add correct pattern air horns, add lights to running boards at both ends. change vents on body 5 total, (2 dynamic plus 3 air) replace air cooler side vents.

That's quite a list to be getting on with - and I need to do it twice.....

Thoughts, ideas, part sources - need loads of info!

Thanks

Phil H

May I recommend this site for prototype pics: http://railpictures.ca/ And this site for detail parts:  https://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/

Job one, unless you’ve already done it, would be to get the headlights down on to the nose where they belong, job two would be the steps which were designed by EMD for sunnier climes. GMDL who built the CN and CP models listened to the Canadian crews about how the snow accumulated. Speaking of which, snow shields over the intakes are a comparatively easy job, but check your pics!

HTH

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, davknigh said:

May I recommend this site for prototype pics: http://railpictures.ca/ And this site for detail parts:  https://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/

Job one, unless you’ve already done it, would be to get the headlights down on to the nose where they belong, job two would be the steps which were designed by EMD for sunnier climes. GMDL who built the CN and CP models listened to the Canadian crews about how the snow accumulated. Speaking of which, snow shields over the intakes are a comparatively easy job, but check your pics!

HTH

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the links - much appreciated.

Job 1 - move headlights - already done on 5415 and started 5637.

Job 2 - improve walkways and steps - started on 5415, need to find another set of parts to do 5637.

Job 3 - add correct type plows - need to find the right ones - all the ones I have in the bits box are the CN type

Job 4 - improve roof fans - engine and dynamic - still to start, I have the rights ones in the bits box.

Job 5 - Snowshields - need photos to work from, then either make some or find a suitable product.

Job 6 - add bells - done 5415, need more to do 5637 - I have wrong type in the bits box

Job 7 - improve/replace handrails - I have some stanchions but not enough!

Job 8 - MU stands and markers - I have wrong type in the bits box.

So, not a short processs to get them to the stage of needing a new coat of paint and decals....

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scottish Modeller said:

I will also need some new bogie sideframes as the existing ones are cracked and spliting - even afer using epoxy to try and save them.

Perhaps try contacting Athearn, they may be able to help with sideframes if the tooling hasn't changed since yours were made.

There is a contact form or an email address available at http://www.athearn.com/About/Contact.aspx

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

I had messages from Ian about Xmas/New Year. He's not well again and shop hours are affected.

I'll try giving him a call and see what he says.

Last time I was through he couldn't find the stuff I was after - even though he had messaged me to say he had the items.

Phil H

Hi Phil,

I may have some of the parts you’d need, definitely steps and bell. My modelling room is in a state of upheaval at the moment as we’re having a boiler fitted so it would be after the weekend.

In the meantime these pics show what I did on a couple of CP engines

https://www.flickr.com/gp/nicks_trainstuff/gcDffF

Nick

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I certainly miss the days of being able to go into MGS or Macs Models and walking out with all the detail bits needed!

I now have 2 CP SD40-2 models to work on.

Having had the first one returned to me after 35 years (post bereavement - willed back to me), I saw another one on eBay listed with a lot of bits and decided to go for it!

Well, I won that auction and I now have the purchase!

It does not have all the bits as it was a 'work in progress', but it's a good start.

I'll take some photos at some point to show progress.

I've just been working through the various product lists to see what there is, but, so far, everything I would need has to come from the US or Canada.

Having said that, I've just found out that some of the old MGS stock is now on eBay, but, again, not all I need is listed.

Ian at Macs has no idea where the box with the US dertail bits is, but will try and find it and let me know/

Nick, I'd be happy to purchase any of the bits you find that are suitable!

Thanks

Phil H

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2022 at 09:49, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi all,

Apparently I should find a copy of this DVD!

HO Weathering & Detailing Volume 4

A quick look at an online excerpt confirms it has a lot of information that will help me.

Anyone got a copy and can confirm this?

Thanks

Phil H

Hi all,

Well - that lead turned out to be a dead end - it has nothing about SD40-2's to help me.

I'm glad I didn't splash out on it.......

I sat down and started cutting and carving on the loco I got off eBay using the detail packs that came with it.

Not enough of them though!

I've also gone back to the original model by starting to revise and improve the details that were added back in the 80's.

Thanks

Phil H

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Getting near to making some progress - some bits sourced!

Thanks to Dr Quinn I have a collection of bits that are needed for this detailing project.

Still not got all I want/need - but at least it's looking feasible to do the work.

I also got some bits from eBay via the XMGS seller and that means there are fewer bits I still need to source.

I'm looking for 2 Cannon & Company Walkway and step detailing packs for Athearn SD40-2 but they are like hens teeth!

I still have a query about the horns I need to get - which ones?

Looking at the photos they appear to be 3 tone with 2 horns facing one direction and 1 horn the other (you decide which is Front and Rear!)

So - P3, K3, Nathan - who knows the answer?

With a bit of luck I'll start the work next week and will post as things progress.

Thanks

Phil H

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Thanks for the links - much appreciated.

Soundtraxx - I have the right decoder already - left over from another project (initially bought the wrong decoder from USA and it was easier just to get the correct one than return the wrong one for replacement).

Miniatures by Eric - great range of bits, I have some already, but not the airhorns

Photos of any of the CP SD40-2 are a help!

Thanks

Phil H

1 hour ago, Scottish Modeller said:

Photos of any of the CP SD40-2 are a help!

If you’re prepared to dig through these topics, there are some in here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41022-occasional-canadian-photos-mostly-from-vancouver-area/

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/164645-jamies-random-american-railway-photos/

and probably in other ‘photo’ topics as well.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2022 at 00:20, Scottish Modeller said:

Hi all,

Getting near to making some progress - some bits sourced!

Thanks to Dr Quinn I have a collection of bits that are needed for this detailing project.

Still not got all I want/need - but at least it's looking feasible to do the work.

I also got some bits from eBay via the XMGS seller and that means there are fewer bits I still need to source.

I'm looking for 2 Cannon & Company Walkway and step detailing packs for Athearn SD40-2 but they are like hens teeth!

I still have a query about the horns I need to get - which ones?

Looking at the photos they appear to be 3 tone with 2 horns facing one direction and 1 horn the other (you decide which is Front and Rear!)

So - P3, K3, Nathan - who knows the answer?

With a bit of luck I'll start the work next week and will post as things progress.

Thanks

Phil H

The Cannon step and walkway packs may not work for Canadian built SD40-2s because of the unique steps, have you considered Archer tread plate decals?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, doctor quinn said:

The Cannon step and walkway packs may not work for Canadian built SD40-2s because of the unique steps, have you considered Archer tread plate decals?

Hi Nick,

Cannon & Company did a pack specifically for the CP SD40-2 and included replacement steps.

I have the remains of one but not enough to do a full job!

I seem to remember you have to cut out the existing steps and put the replacement etches in place.

Thanks

Phil H

On 04/03/2022 at 19:20, Scottish Modeller said:

Nothing on the Cannon website about proper Canadian step kits so that may have been discontinued.

But the standard US versions are available and in stock at Walthers so any UK retailer dealing with Walthers (like Rails of Sheffield) should be able to get them for you.

Cannon webpage - https://shop.cannonandco.net/category.sc?categoryId=16

For Walthers put a 191- in front of the Cannon part number, for example the pre-2007 Athearn SD40-2 set is 2005 so becomes 191-2005 on the Walthers site https://www.walthers.com/safety-tread-step-kit-photo-etched-brass-for-athearn-sd40-2-pre-2007-releases

• Like 1

• 1 month later...