Pre-Tops Class 26's

sulzer71

Afternoon all

I was just wondering if anyone could help with a query regards pre-tops Class 26's , what I wanted to know is if any were fitted with the twin headlights or did they only appear after TOPS renumbering? I have not found a photo of one so I'm assuming this was an after TOPS thing

Tia 

Dave

Just had a quick look myself. The late class 24s have got them but not the 26s. I've also had a quick look through some Bradford Bartons (not many photos) and the earliest photo I found of a 26 with twin headlights was 1977.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flood said:

Just had a quick look myself. The late class 24s have got them but not the 26s. I've also had a quick look through some Bradford Bartons (not many photos) and the earliest photo I found of a 26 with twin headlights was 1977.

Yeah , I'm aware the pre-tops 24's had them (spent a lot of time studying these!) but haven't found a pre-tops 26 with them 

This is the earliest photo I can find and I've searched 5327 through to 5346 and 26027 to 26046:

26039 at Queen Street 1975

Ado Griff on Flickr. 26039 Queen Street 1st November 1975.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at derbysulzers, the instruction for fitting the cl.24s was in January 1965, whereas the cl.26s would have to wait until 1975:

"During August all of Eastfield's Class 24's were stored, the only Inverness locomotive stored was 24104. However all the Inverness allocated Class 24's had their sealed beam headlights removed and possibly their boilers isolated. A number of Class 26's had headlights fitted at this time....between September and November all the Inverness Class 24's either moved to Haymarket or were put to store."

https://www.derbysulzers.com/inverness.html

It would seem the 26s only got the headlights once it was clear that the 24s were on their way out.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, keefer said:

Looking at derbysulzers, the instruction for fitting the cl.24s was in January 1965, whereas the cl.26s would have to wait until 1975:

"During August all of Eastfield's Class 24's were stored, the only Inverness locomotive stored was 24104. However all the Inverness allocated Class 24's had their sealed beam headlights removed and possibly their boilers isolated. A number of Class 26's had headlights fitted at this time....between September and November all the Inverness Class 24's either moved to Haymarket or were put to store."

https://www.derbysulzers.com/inverness.html

It would seem the 26s only got the headlights one it was clear that the 24s were on their way out.

Excellent , I've been looking for a picture of a pre-tops one for quite some time but had a gut feeling they were all fitted after TOPS