GWR 04 Open Drawing

The engineering drawing in Atkins (1998) is unreadable. Does anybody have a clear drawing of this?

I am particularly interested in the dimensions relating to the sheet bar and fittings.

Next stage would be to get somebody to etch it.

Richard A

• RMweb Premium

Well, leaving aside @Miss Prism's casual revelation of a total gold-mine of material, as well as the wagon drawing referred to you might also find this useful:

http://www.cs.rhul.ac.uk/~adrian/steam/RCHWagons/images/rch1028.PDF (you will need to copy and paste the link, as the forum software says "The link could not be embedded because only https URLs are allowed.")

This is a drawing of the RCH 1923 specification for sheet bars, which seems identical to the GWR ones, so presumably the GWR design was adopted by the RCH. It is useful if you want close-up detail of the individual components. It is also worth noting the radius on the bar itself seems to vary somewhat, so check a suitable photo for the wagon you are doing. You also need to ensure the vertical part of the bar at each end is the right length so the horizontal part sits exactly on top of the side of the wagon when it is tilted over.

Nick

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

It's been revealed for quite a long while

D'oh! I must make time to look at the brilliant gwr.org.uk website more systematically, rather than just diving in when I need things.

thanks for making these valuable resources available, even if some of us aren't entirely paying attention.

Nick.