RMweb

Old Hornby Swallow HST set - what coaches to add to make a full rake?

Hi new to the forum

I have just purchased an old Hornby HST Swallow Set. "Great North Eastern Railway" One power car, one dummy and two coaches.

I don't know what the R is but it comes with the original box.

(edit) Maybe this isn't the original box? 

They look like two standard Mk3 coaches. They have pull out tension lock couplings - with those little scorpion type connectors.

The power car is "Granite City" and has traction tyres. The dummy is "City of Discovery".

Any idea what the R catalog number is?   

What other Hornby Mk3 coaches would I need to add to make a full HST rake?

Can I use the two Mk3 coaches I have in another rake - say pulled by a Class 47 push/pull or just pull? Say with Mk2's?

Would that be prototypical?

If so what Mk2's?

Could I mix an match say some new Bachmann Mk2fFs ...like a TSO with the current Hornby coaches I have?

Would that make any sense? Or were MK3's used on the HST,  *only* used on Intercity 125 HSTs? 

Thanks

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

Edited by wappinghigh
edit

• RMweb Premium

15 seconds on Google suggests it’s an R2613. I don’t think that’s the original box. That being the GNER crest I assume it had a GNER HST in it originally.

Depending on what you want to model (XC, WR, ER) you need to add a buffet, a TGS, and either 1 TF and 2 TSs (XC) or 2 TFs and 2 TSs (ER, WR). There have been loads of different mk3s from Hornby though, no idea how well they match (I don’t model OO). 

You could use the coaches on a loco hauled rake, but they’re not right. The loco hauled coaches were different - most notably they had buffers, plus some other differences - different roof vents, subtly different underframe. They weren’t really mixed in with mk2s in a single rake, with the exception of the buffets, which did run in mk2 sets on the WCML, hauled by 86s, 87s or 90s generally. 

The class 47 push pull sets used Scotrail mk3s, with a mk2 DBSO, so not a huge stretch to use ‘standard’ swallow coaches. 

• Like 1