The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A sad day for Australian cricket

EddieB

I woke up to the very sad news this morning that Rodney Marsh, the legendary Aussie wicket-keeper, had died.  Just heard on the radio that Shane Warne has died of a suspected heart attack, aged 52.

Two greats of the game, that always added spice to the Ashes Tests.  I was watching the Old Trafford test match on live TV (free to air, in those days) when Shane Warne bowled Mike Gatting with "the ball of the century" - I can just about remember Richie Benaud's commentary word for word.

Here's a shot from later in 1993 - with the Australians playing Essex at Chelmsford.  Shane Warne wasn't playing, but 'warn-ed up' with Boon-ie and fellow Victorians Merv Hughes and (I think) Paul Reifel.

Respect.

661301695__K200C9307.jpg.be30524ac4f6397c85cbbaa8f13ca62f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The world of cricket is united in it's grief.

It doesn't matter which country you represent, whether you are a cricketer from Warne's playing  days or playing in the current era. Everyone has a good word to say about the great man. 

One aspect that has become obvious in the past few hours is how he had time for everyone in the game, whether you were a fledgling spinner or another of the all time greats.

Cricket has lost a great ambassador, as well as a gifted player.

• Like 4