Bachmann Brassworks 121 repaint

cromptonnut

I'm picking up a Bachmann Brassworks 121 today which will be repainted once I decide whether to go for blue/grey or NSE.

Should I strip the paint back to the bare brass before priming and repainting (if so, how?) or will a quick spray of a primer over the top, followed by my chosen colour scheme (with Railmatch or Phoenix paints depending what the shop has) be sufficient?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm picking up a Bachmann Brassworks 121 today which will be repainted once I decide whether to go for blue/grey or NSE.

Should I strip the paint back to the bare brass before priming and repainting (if so, how?) or will a quick spray of a primer over the top, followed by my chosen colour scheme (with Railmatch or Phoenix paints depending what the shop has) be sufficient?

You might loose some detail, such as the grooves where the doors are if yout put another two coats on top, but it might work!

If you go down the route of stripping it, remove the body from the underframe, take ot anything plastic (such as glasing) then find a metal container larger than the body and fill it with nitromors - then simply put the body in there overnight and the next day scrub it with a tooth brush or similar to reveal a prefect brass body! I've done that a few times with Bachmann/Tower Mk1 coaches that I have bought second-hand which were poorly painted.

Cheers,

Stephen

Is that neat Nitromors?

What do you do with the stuff afterwards - it sounds to me like you can't just tip it down the drain?

When you say a 'metal container' does it have to be something quite large and heavy duty like a bucket, or will something like a tin foil cooking tray do the job?

It sounds like a scary "one chance only" effort to me! I assume, however, there aren't many other options?

Archived