Mk1 BSs as tool vans

russ p

• RMweb Gold

I've seen pictures of BSs converted to tool vans for use with breakdown cranes . All the pictures I've seen were in yellow with black chevrons.  We're any red or were they converted after the red livery had finished? 

Cheers 

• RMweb Gold

None in red that I remember (note that I do not claim exhaustive knowledge in this matter, but the Canton vans were in the departmental rail blue/red where the grey would have been on a passenger coach livery. 

They were not just converted for use with cranes, and Canton had a pair used for less serious derailments (‘they’re off the road over the docks, oh, and Allied Carpets are having a sale as well’).  These carried the tools, jacks, ropes/cables, and packing timbers as well as serving as mess vans.  Cooking and sleeping facilities were needed in breakdown trains where the men were on duty for as long as the job lasted, which was until the line was cleared and returned to traffic, and for major incidents this could be several days. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

None in red that I remember (note that I do not claim exhaustive knowledge in this matter, but the Canton vans were in the departmental rail blue/red where the grey would have been on a passenger coach livery. 

They were not just converted for use with cranes, and Canton had a pair used for less serious derailments (‘they’re off the road over the docks, oh, and Allied Carpets are having a sale as well’).  These carried the tools, jacks, ropes/cables, and packing timbers as well as serving as mess vans.  Cooking and sleeping facilities were needed in breakdown trains where the men were on duty for as long as the job lasted, which was until the line was cleared and returned to traffic, and for major incidents this could be several days. 

I've got one of those Hornby Gresleys with my Bachmann crane at the moment but could do with something a bit better. Our steam crane at Thornaby had what appeared to be a Thompson austerity BG with sliding doors. That was red until it was scrapped in the late 80s but apparently wasn't converted until 73 so too late for me 

We also had mk1 tool vans which were yellow

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I only remember yellow at OC. The steam crane was replaced in the very early 80s, but I can't remember what vehicles it ran with.

As for major incidents, the one that comes to mind was a stone working somewhere near Frome. The Bath Road crane was lifting and soft ground led to it requiring recovery itself by both OC and CF IIRC. The crews were actually swapped over part way through because they were out for that long.....

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Now you know how there is a prototype for everything. there is a bookazine out from Key Publishing that is about departmental coaching stock and track machines. A quick flick through in WHS, and there in the BTU section is a converted Mk1 BSK in faded red livery parked up at Carnforth in 1981.....

So in answer to your question - Yes, red ones did exist....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Now you know how there is a prototype for everything. there is a bookazine out from Key Publishing that is about departmental coaching stock and track machines. A quick flick through in WHS, and there in the BTU section is a converted Mk1 BSK in faded red livery parked up at Carnforth in 1981.....

So in answer to your question - Yes, red ones did exist....

Anyone any idea when mk1 corridor coaches were first converted to BTUs