Gate stock livery

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Were any of the remaining exLSWR gate stock painted red during ‘48-52 or were they all BR green?

Thank you

StaySafe

Set 363 was red, believed painted thus around July 1950.  Initially it was lined.  It was withdrawn November 1958.  I understood that 373 and 374 were never red and remained malachite green until withdrawal in Oct 1960 and Oct 1956 respectively.  There is, I believe, some disagreement as to whether 373 was ever BR green or was still re-varnished malachite at the end of its life.  However, given that EFE have done 374 in red I will try to check whether this is erroneous or not.

Chris KT

Guest Jack Benson
6 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

Set 363 was red, believed painted thus around July 1950.  Initially it was lined.  It was withdrawn November 1958.  I understood that 373 and 374 were never red and remained malachite green until withdrawal in Oct 1960 and Oct 1956 respectively.  There is, I believe, some disagreement as to whether 373 was ever BR green or was still re-varnished malachite at the end of its life.  However, given that EFE have done 374 in red I will try to check whether this is erroneous or not.

Chris KT

Chris,

Many thanks. I am happy to renumber 374 to 363, a lot less trouble than building the Roxey exSECR birdcage driving P+P kit in my ‘roundtuit’ cupboard. 
The entire coaching stock on Beaminster Road is some type of red colour, unintentional but it started with a Maunsell WC set followed by a Bulleid set in CLC. Naturally, the exLSWR rebuilt brake set is also red…..a trend has been set. 

By contrast, all locos are dull, unlined black, not a Malachite BLP in sight.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Apologies for more waffle but thanks to the helpful responses and this useful PDF file from the SREMG  I decided to buy a red set, hastened by the discovery of a brand new EFE set with a 33% discount which didn’t last long on sale. 

spacer.png

As usual, StaySafe and thanks