Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Fitting Hornby metal couplings to Model Rail Sentinel

Hi all,

Recently bought a 00 sentinel shunter from Model Rail and it's a superbly smooth and slow runner. However, all my British 00 locos and stock are fitted with the metal Hornby X171 / X8025 couplings and I'd like to fit them to this loco too. Yes, these couplings are big but I've always liked them as, once bent to a uniform height, they're very reliable.. plus I do like the 'clunk' sound of the arms engaging. :)

Being a newish model, the Sentinel has NEM pockets so I'm asking if there's a commercial 'shank' I can use to fit the X171 coupling too then just clip it into the NEM socket. This would let me refit the original small coupling if I ever wanted to sell the loco.

I'm quite prepared to make the conversion permanent though and will sort something out myself but was just wondering if there was a suitable NEM 'shaft' available or if anyone else has already done this conversion.

Don't think photos are showing on the site yet but a Google search will show the loco and couplings if anyone hasn't seen them before.

Thanks

Steve

I'd have thought the closest coupling to what you are looking for would be Hornby R8268 (https://uk.Hornby.com/products/large-width-couplings-pack-10-r8268), but I don't think these are metal.  If you must have a metal loop, then I think you'll be fabricating your own hybrid.  I can't see a market for a swallow tail shank without a coupling (which is the reason why I don't think one is available) and therefore you'd be left with purchasing another coupling such as the above, cutting off the loop and then screwing your X171 / X8025 metal loop to what is left.

Thanks David.

That may be exactly what I'm looking for as I can live with a plastic bar as long as it's wide enough for the arm of the X171 metal coupling to easily catch onto. I've also found a review where someone uses this coupling so it will work with their older Triang stock so it must be okay.

Might even be able to cut off the plastic bar and attach a complete X171 to it.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

On a shunting loco like the Sentinel, you shouldn't need a hook. Unless you want to run it with another loco, that on the wagon will do the job.

A wire "goalpost" fitted into small holes drilled in the buffer beams will look better than the (quite thick) moulded coupling, and let you fit the blanking pieces to fill the gaps where the NEM ones go.

The loco will look better and still couple with any other T/L coupling so it shouldn't prevent reselling it if you so decide.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I use Hornby Dublo / Peco couplings and find or file up a bit of square section brass which fits the NEM pocked and drill through pocket and brass to take a track pin, inserted from above.  Then I solder a shortened Peco coupling to the brass.  Same should work for Hornby Coupling.      I use the metal Hornby Couplings on my garden railway.  They work well as long as both couplings have hooks and all the couplings are the same. If only one hook engages the bogies get pulled off centre and derail.   I sometimes fit new hooks, the current Hornby Hook, to the old couplings when the old ones snap off. An 8BA countersunk bolt and nut work if the rivet can't be reused.

Paula - thanks for the confirmation, I'm just pleased to find a wider Hornby coupling available as it seems they get narrower - and more frail - with every new edition. I tend to buy the older Bachmann Branchline rolling stock at trade fairs as the metal couplings are a simple replacement.

John - Good idea with drilling the buffer beams. I could use a guitar string - probably a .016 'G' which when painted black would be almost invisible. I was going to make a paperclip loop if all else failed but this would be easier to fit.

DCB - A great idea for making a shank. The X171's take solder very well. Could also make one from thick plastic which should also be sufficient as the loco will only ever pull a few wagons. . Funnily enough, I have a couple of HGLR 16mm locos and thought of putting X171's on them or making my own sightly larger version.

Thanks to all for the input

Steve