Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby TEA Tanker Wagon - replacement bogie suggestions?

I'm refurbishing some old Hornby TEA tanker wagons and want to replace the 'coach' bogies they run on. I model in 4mm scale, 00 gauge on code 75 rail.

I'm hoping to improve the models to look how they would in the early to mid 1980's. I've been looking at the Cambrian Models range of bogies and was wondering which type would suit.

Any advice or other suitable replacement bogie suggestions would be gratefully received as always.

Nothing in the Cambrian range, except perhaps the Y25.

I've used S-Kits, who advertise in the modelling part of Rail Express. They don't have a web-site, but have an E-mail (infoshrapnel@btinternet,com), and a terrestrial address (16, Barrow Rd, Sileby, LE12 7LP)

There is also Stentson Models :- https://www.stensonmodels.co.uk/ . I've not used these, but reports I've seen are favourable.

I never understood why Triang-Hornby used these when they brought the model out, almost fifty years ago. It's not as if the 'Transcontinental' bogies were current even then.

Edited by Fat Controller
Added contact details.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JohnH said:

Thanks so much Brian for all your help! :)

Hi John, Cheesy just linked my notes for the 6 I just did, I used the ESC1 shoe braked bogies as they best fitted the prototype I was doing. The pic I was working from was when they were brand new at washwood heath I also have pics of other branded tanks on esc1 disc braked bogies. I'd say pick your prototype and have a look at the stenson site and find the best looking fit. They are great bogies and well worth it.20210911_172636.jpg.8d99c7459156b432247fc46e1de13c4e.jpg

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for the reply James - all very helpful stuff!

The work you've done on your TEA's is excellent. They look great. I'm looking forward to attempting to get somewhere near your own high standard when I start on mine...

Many thanks once again.

Cheers,  John.

• Thanks 1

On 08/04/2022 at 09:48, JohnH said:

Thanks so much for the reply James - all very helpful stuff!

The work you've done on your TEA's is excellent. They look great. I'm looking forward to attempting to get somewhere near your own high standard when I start on mine...

Many thanks once again.

Cheers,  John.

Cheers John, managed to bag another cheap one on ebay last week so will have another yo add to the rake.

If you pop over to my page again @Enterprisingwestern Mike has added sor pics of his chassis mods to add extra detail. I never realised how thin the middle framing should be!

Cheers

James

• Like 1