GWR Broad Gauge bogie Class

As I have been working on the model of High Wycombe in 1854-64 I thought it would look better with some locomotives and rolling stock, so I have started to draw up the 4-4-0 GWR bogie class saddle tank locomotives as there were a number of the first batch allocated to Wycombe. These locos used the boiler as a structural member with the frames only from the front of the driving wheel to the rear buffer beam the front bogie was attached to the underside of the boiler.

As can be seen I have drawn the front bogie and driving wheels.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

bogie 1.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Some more work on the loco, I thought I would pop the file in the 3D printer and see how it came out. I did hold out too much hope as I drew it all in scale dimensions, and printing things at 0.3mm thickness and below was asking for trouble but it came out better than I thought, I will probably go for etched bits on the final design although the smokebox and saddle tank came out rather nice, including some very fine rivet detail.

David

43.PNG

45.png

46.PNG

47.PNG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6435.JPG

IMG_6436.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi David

This is great to see!  I look forward to seeing further progress and a 4mm scale model of both engine and station would be absolutely delightful.

You may find the attached of interest.  It is a painting by Sean Bolan of a 'Bogie' class at Bridport around 1860.  'Hesiod' was recorded as working on the Bridport branch at the time so it could be her!  Sorry about the reflections caused by  the glass.

Keep up the good work!

Gerry

20220425_140120 (2).jpg

• Like 4

Hi Gerry

I love Sean Bolan's paintings and used them as a guide for my model, Here is the loco in my model of Wycombe, Hesiod was also allocated to Wycombe in July 1859. Differences I have done over Sean's engine is that he has painted toolbox and sandbox in brown while I have gone for green, although I can simply change it, what do you think is correct?

David     

30.PNG

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 4

I think toolboxes were usually green.  It amuses me that we always try to achieve a perfect finish on our models but photographs show that those early iron-built engines had surfaces that were far from smooth - see, for example, the photo you posted on April 7th and I've seen much rougher examples in other photos.  Of course, it appeals to me because I don't get 'perfect' surfaces from my FDM printer!

Mike

• Like 1