Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

C&O Decals for Tichy Train Group USRA Hopper and Single Sheath Boxcar kits

I recently picked up two Tichy Train Group HO kits from Hattons. One is a USRA 50t hopper and the other a USRA single sheath boxcar, kits 4027 and 4026. I would like to decorate them for a late steam age C&O layout.

Tantalisingly, the kit instructions and website show the hopper in exactly the C&O livery I want to do. Decals are not included but reference is made to Champion decals for the hopper and to contact Walthers for the boxcar (bit vague). Not sure whether suitable decals are available in UK.

One option I have for the hopper are the 50t offset side hopper decals produced by K4-Pacific (eBay from US) but I would need to cut them into sections to fit around the exterior ribs on the USRA hopper. Not insurmountable. However, I have drawn a blank on the boxcar just now. K4-Pacific said they didn't have anything I could use.

I have contacted Tichy Train Group to ask for suggestions for decals but no reply yet.

Any thoughts please?

Tichy Train Group's website has a decal list PDF (all their catalogs at https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Catalogs.aspx

USRA 50t Hopper - kit 4027 - decal list for their kits (p3 of the PDF) has a list of their decals.  10147 is a multi-set for D&H/C&O/NH, viewable on page 30.  Walthers (Tichy is manufacturer 293, so put 293- in front of any Tichy product numbers) lists this set as out of stock.  You could try buying from Tichy, or their is at least 1 seller with stock on eBay (search Tichy Train 10147)

USRA SS Boxcar - kit 4026 - Tichy only offers decals for this kit for D&H, Long Island, and Georgia - Long Island is out of stock at Walthers, they other 3 are available through Walthers.

If you are insistent on C&O (there isn't any real need to be boxcars moved everywhere in North America) then one possibility (no experience with them) would be Westerfield who is a maker of resin kits and provides decals for their kits.  They offer a resin SS Boxcar kit and have a C&O decal set for that kit available separately - D3303.  This link should take you to it https://id18538.securedata.net/westerfieldmodels.com/merchantmanager/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=3303&mmsid=21a5808cd2ead8455bf04aeec326f05d&x=0&y=0

There may also be other options, the above is what a quick search revealed to me.

Other than that there are kit building email groups on groups.io (one for plastic kits, one for resin kits) where more accurate and specific advice may be available from those who are actually making kits.  If anyone is interested I can dig up the links for the groups.

Edited by mdvle