Rydes Vale Mainline Restoration

SiHumph

Ok so its been a long while since I last posted so I thought its time for an update. I have to admit I havent done a lot on the layout since I meet a load of you at last years 2mm event in Derby but that was because a of a bit of a health issue and me having too many other things on my plate. I was alos looking at the viability of spliting the main line into a couple of shorter manageable sections but as that stands that is on hold at the moment.

This Autumn has seen my attentions turning to the Rydes Vale but something a bit different! I picked up the Goods/MPD section last week so the focus now is to get this cleaned up and running and marry it up again with the mainline section, which will be the first time since 1965 they have been together.

Fortunately this section has stood the test of time a bit better as it hasnt spent the majority of its life in a loft and been used as recently as around 1980! As you can see the mainline section is in the background (as well as a load of junk (got told off for that one by my wife who wants the dining room back!!

Once I get going on this I will get back on the updates but that isnt all!

IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_3195.JPG

• Like 9

Along with the Rydes Vale section my Uncle had a a root around for some bits and pieces and we have managed to find a couple of missing coaches but the one thing of most excitment is that for many years we knew that HH was starting on a tender loco but we have no information at what stage this was and had no information on its progress. Was it just talk or did something actually exist?

Well the answer to that is in the photo. This is loco number 16 from the HH 2mm stable! This is all I have (althoough I do have a set of cleaned up white metal castings that do seem to fit the wheelbase (but were not with it). Ther is no paperwork or anything else so I am a bit keen to know what was it he was building, a few checks on the wheelbase tend to indicate it could be a Midland loco and its definately an 0-6-0 tender loco

The big question now is how to progress with this? Do I just leave it and thats it or do I look at getting the last HH loco bult to a running model to grace the Rydes Vale and the other locos that will again run on it?

FSOB9789.JPG

QQIO1399.JPG

• Like 8

I would suggest that finishing it off would be a fitting addition to the rolling stock, but I'm wondering if that collection of castings includes other things?  There would appear to be parts for a coach bogie there.  I'm afraid I can't help with identification, others with more knowledge may be able to help.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I will be at Warley at the weekend with Copenhagen Fields, The thought is to bring thsi and some other unidentified bis up with me and can have a chat with anyone up there that is interested that may be able to shed light. There are quite a few vintage bits and bobs that were just in the usual cigarette boxes and floating loose

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/11/2023 at 13:03, Hendreladis said:

The castings look to be the association's early SECR C class kit from the 1960s. Similar wheelbase to a 4F etc.

I would agree with that, having had a pile of similar but incomplete castings.  Unfortunately they went AWOL after loaning them for display at our 50th anniversary Expo.

N Brass do some nice boiler fittings  and a smokebox door for the C. In fact they do a complete kit for one but it duplicates the contents of the old Assocation kit.  The castings I think were done by Ks and they're pretty good, even by today's standards.

• 1 month later...

Simon spent an afternoon here yesterday (he was up this way on business) discussing, among other things, AJ couplings.  Inter alia he placed one of the Groves' wagons, straight out of the storage box, on the same piece of track as one of my newest wagons and the two coupled perfectly!  🙂  What does that say about common standards?

Jim

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

• 1 month later...

HIstory and recollections of the Rydes Vale Quarry line.

It was bought in 1958 to see what could be produced in a scale smaller than 00. HH Groves had various Lone Star models for his grandchildren to play with and N scale was just becoming known.

The track was relaid to HH standard and the original ran from Platform 1 (nearest station building ending in a small engine shed ) to the hidden turntable under the village.

August 1959 - Bert's 7 year old nephew is perched on his uncle's shoulders to take photos of the cab roof, safety valve, etc of a locomotive at Bude station. (Unknowingly), this was to become the signature 2-6-2 of the line. HH handwound all his loco's armatures, a skill he passed to another son. To be allowed into his workshop was a privilege, strictly no women, conversations with him rare. Those with Bert often contained "thou" (-sandths of an inch), references to back-to-back measurements and various clearances (eg signals)

HH and Bert were always at Bude station during the family holiday. Bert after his 7am seasurf, HH was 77. 

There were always odd pieces of plywooded track lying in HH's garage.

Winter 1960/61 - One Saturday the MPD and goods yard appeared in HH's living room, the engine shed removed to be replaced by 3 connected sidings under new cliffs. This was the line's new termination and storage.

Spring 1961 - The 3 of us piled into Bert's Traveller, HH in he front plus both separate sections of layout. The Rydes Vale Quarry Line was exhibited at Central Hall in 1961,62,& 63. HH's poor health prevented 1964. 

Concept of revised line-

Rolling stock to Plat 1, loco attached, coupled automatically.

Points set (a button press), signal (by signal box) similarly.

Porter waved green flag (attached wire underneath, handjiggled)

Loco whistled (buzzer)

Train headed along main line,  the Gaugemaster controller (still works) set to HalfWave. Racing was strictly not allowed, slowness for realism.

Bert always gave a running commentary for the kids, HH operated the trains. 

Off to hidden turntable under village (back garden of Airfix-based cottage had washing hanglng on theline - Bert to amuse everyone) and be rotated.)

Either part revolution to hidden siding (added later) under cliff.

Or return journey to station. 

Set route etc.

Wagons to goods yard.

Carriages (sure there were 2/3 GWR chocolate cream as well as red BR suburbans)

Wagons (HH plastic injection moulded) to goods yard.

Uncouple (press button - magnetic uncoupling) train in station (say plat 2)

Loco to resited engine shed (rear wall now removed) for servicing, ('magically')

it disappeared (to kids' delight) reappears probably turned round on short turntable by loops. Awaits next duty,etc, repeated. 

At home a single track also led led from the engine shed's rear round his wife's sewing machine for real HH servicing. This did not last long!

We lost Grandpa HH 'Pop' Groves late January 1965 a few days from Winston Churchill, the last time the line was seen running.

All The Best for its restoration. Great Idea. Trains will and are to run again. Look forward to more.

Peter

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Thats a great recollection and something I have sorely been after. I never had the priviledge of seeing the rydes vale exhibited or used in full, indeed the only time I saw the main line was when it was pulled out of the loft in Guildford (first time it saw daylight after being taken from Queens Walk which was before I was born).

If you have any other recollections on operation and indeed on anything realting to the layout and Bert, HH I would love to hear them. 

David and I are keen to get the whole layout back in front of the public (which is where it belongs), I am taking the lead on this as it is something so close to my heart. As a 5 year old I have memories of operating the MPD section at the Astolat Exhibition In Trinty Hall, Guildford (and pictures). Today the mission is nearly complete as the MPD section along with HH locos and stock are off to set up at Alexandra Palace for the weekend show. I am hoping the mainline will be at a standard to get in front of the public next year and be coupled to the MPD section for the first time in over 50 years. In fact next year will be 60 years since it was last in front of the public in its full glory at Central Hall (Bert exhibited on his own in 65 and the stress of it wasnt good on his health apparently)

Please keep in touch

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Prior to this weekend I thought I need to get to work on a couple of bits so I thought I better update the post with a few things I have done to the good section. First was to check the wiring and make some changes in order that it can in the future be reunited with the main line. More on that later.

From a viewer perspective I think something needs to be done to stop the lying down cow from escaping!IMG_3509.png.97f71aeb4496eb95cef9c70b52086c1d.png

• Like 4

This is my first attempt at creating something in this scale from scratch so after a few mistakes (thanks for picking that up Tim) and a bit of rework and a first attempt at making my work blend in I am quite pleased with the result (I might rework the closest corner top plank as it’s too high I think)

IMG_3500.jpeg

IMG_3505.jpeg

IMG_3508.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

Other little jobs done. The two nearest sidings to the front both had missing buffer beams so these have been added and blended in. The water tower has had its ladder straightened and fixed as well as the water being purified! The goods shed has had the office roof replaced and painted and the hole in the roof temporarily repaired (the chimney was lost). A few holes filled in the baseboard that had cover poles in. Finally the near shutter was given his pile back 

7088A95D-387C-4F10-A7A5-8B0B8E5EDB0C.jpeg

• Like 3

Next job for after Ally Pally is to get to work on the hill and get it looking lush and back to life. Also to relay the fence that has not faired well but have enough pre drilled posts to do the job plus many more (need loads for the mainline)

13C75BCD-9DBE-4A24-95F9-99E48F2E12AB.jpeg

90EBA49F-2D13-4B84-AF9C-4495678B9C00.jpeg

• Like 12

Somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind I recall this layout at Central Hall. I think I recall best the BR Standard 2-6-2 tank hauling the 3 suburban coaches. Be fair - it was over 60 years ago! I'm pleased that this pioneer is having new life breathed into it, it does deserve it.Maybe one day  it will be exhibited again.

• Like 2

Back from a great time at Ally Pally with the Rydes Vale goods yard section being exhibited for the first time since around 1980! 

the locos performed unbelievably once warmed up with me able to demonstrate scale walking pace over a three way point with not even a stammer!

Saturday I didn’t get a chance to look around as constantly had visitors all of whom couldn’t believe the age of the layout and performance plus great to speak to people who remember it from central hall and one that knew Bert and worked with him!

Sunday my son was with me and took the lion share of the operating (I couldn’t get a look in) and had kids under the Rydes Vale animation spell

Possibly will be at another show this year after some brief discussions and also the target is now to have the complete Rydes Vale together for next year albeit probably in a work in progress state

IMG_3553.jpeg

IMG_3556.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

• 1 month later...

20240318_172444.jpg.80de5b66d08cbf33e53a9e95f2f382b3.jpg,The photos of the fullscale 2-6-2 taken at Bude in August 1959.20240318_172019-1.jpg.dc0e6f7d5d546622543feb0d7fe6d739.jpg

First, waiting at the main platform. The other showing the cab roof, safety valves etc. Cars in the background, the Vauxhalls of HH and Dad, his son on the rough road past the goodshed leading to Bude abattoir.

More personal thoughts available if needs be.

Peter 

• Like 11