Didcot Railway Centre Tour 2022

Castle

• RMweb Gold
On 13/06/2022 at 00:14, Castle said:

Hi Dave,

Sure thing - great to have you aboard! If you get there for 10:00 - 10:30hrs. Make sure you are fed and watered and taken your train rides then the afternoon is ours. We will do our usual and meet up at the gate at 12:00hrs and trundle round at our own pace!

All the best,

Castle

Should have read this before posting 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I am sure that you will all have a great time, I’m just sorry that I won’t be able to join you due to other commitments. Perhaps next year?

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/08/2022 at 18:37, Ian Hargrave said:

I’m going to do it the easy way and stay overnight as a day return journey via the M40/A 34 isn’t a best option. 

I had a look on "Hotel.com" (other web sites available) to find some where to stay, but they are all approaching the £100+ mark. 

As it is I shall be coming A131,A120, M11,M25, then there is a choice of M4/M40. It all depends on the traffic on the day, But I shall have another look on "Hotel.com".

Terry

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I had a look on "Hotel.com" (other web sites available) to find some where to stay, but they are all approaching the £100+ mark. 

As it is I shall be coming A131,A120, M11,M25, then there is a choice of M4/M40. It all depends on the traffic on the day, But I shall have another look on "Hotel.com".

Terry

Thanks for that.Yes,I know hotel accommodation isn’t cheap. Unfortunately,it seems as though the heatwave is going to scupper my plans in any case. ……given my recent health issues. A pity but a risk I can’t afford to take.

• Friendly/supportive 5

Hi All,

Sorry about that Ian - keeping well is the most important thing. Next time along with Brian let’s hope!

Harry and I shall start by joining you all at the main gate at about 12:30hrs so get your train rides / lunch in before then. 

All the best,

Castle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2022 at 21:03, Castle said:

Harry and I shall start by joining you all at the main gate at about 12:30hrs so get your train rides / lunch in before then. 

For those of us not so familiar with Didcot, where is the main gate? (I'm fearing standing around near the wrong gate like an idiot... 🙂)

A link to a Google maps Pin would be great, if possible.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Enter through the main entrance to Didcot Parkway station, tell the guys on the gate line you are going to the DRC and they will let you through.  Go to the far end of the station subway, up the steps and there you are.  If you are coming by train, simply turn right at the bottom of the stairs and proceed as above, you do not need to go out of the station.

If coming by car, there are car parks opposite the station where you can park all day at weekends for £3 (much, much cheaper than GWR's multi-storey and closer) but you have to pay Ring Go by phone.  Don't think you can get away with it - they do check and ticket dodgers!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Enter through the main entrance to Didcot Parkway station, tell the guys on the gate line you are going to the DRC and they will let you through.  Go to the far end of the station subway, up the steps and there you are.  If you are coming by train, simply turn right at the bottom of the stairs and proceed as above, you do not need to go out of the station.

If coming by car, there are car parks opposite the station where you can park all day at weekends for £3 (much, much cheaper than GWR's multi-storey and closer) but you have to pay Ring Go by phone.  Don't think you can get away with it - they do check and ticket dodgers!

Mike

Looks like that car park has gone downhill with people reporting problems trying to pay - but it is by far the handiest one to use when visiting the GWS at weekends (or you can get to Didcot by train of course).

On 10/08/2022 at 10:50, Trainshed Terry said:

Terry

There are various Travelodges within reasonable distance of Didcot and they are usually much cheaper than £100 for one night (yes  - I realise they are Travelodges 😇 )

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Looks like that car park has gone downhill with people reporting problems trying to pay - but it is by far the handiest one to use when visiting the GWS at weekends (or you can get to Didcot by train of course.)

I've not had problems.

Mark Hopwood once asked me why I drove rather than use the train.  I pointed out I could get there and half way home again in less time than it took to go one way on his trains and when doing a day shift at Didcot I could have another hour in bed!  "Fair point" was his reply.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It is good to know that the car park that is  opposite the station i s still there. I am not sure if I am going as the weather forecast looks like it could in the middle 30C. I shall have to see how I feel on the day and what the weather is doing. (Please could we have some rain SOOOON)

Terry. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

It is good to know that the car park that is  opposite the station i s still there. I am not sure if I am going as the weather forecast looks like it could in the middle 30C. I shall have to see how I feel on the day and what the weather is doing. (Please could we have some rain SOOOON)

Terry. 

Yes, rain is certainly needed around the south…. Or at least a typical uk summer! 🌂🌦

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just been checking trains on https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W15031/2022-08-14/detailed for tomorrow (no main line trains today due to the on going dispute) and everything looks ok at the moment for an early arrival into Didcot. 

I’ve not been on an 800 class, so tomorrow will hopefully be that day, followed by some more traditional Great Western motive power.

Clearly with the weather forecast, hats and plenty of water are required.

See you all at lunchtime tomorrow.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Castle,

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to drop out of this - just too much going on at the moment, and I need the time for other things! 

Sorry for the short notice...

3rd Rail Exile (aka James)

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Just to let those of you coming to Didcot know that Swindon Panel will be in operation from 10:30* so if you want a look ahead of the crowd we'd be pleased to see you, be sure to  introduce yourself.

You can find us in the new building at the far end of the shop, cafe, museum row - just look for the lattice post signal.

The really good news is we are the only air-conditioned building on the site so a welcome oasis on days such as we are currently "enjoying"!

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow.

Mike

* Assuming the heat doesn't cause it to throw one of it's occasional strops!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Castle said:

Hi All,

No worries James - see you next time.

I don’t know about you lot but but I’m looking forward to tomorrow!

All the best,

Castle

Definitely looking forward to tomorrow, thanks again Drew.

11 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Just to confirm Drew, meet up at 12:30 not 12?

Pretty sure 12:30 Nick…. Although see below!

11 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Hi all,

Just to let those of you coming to Didcot know that Swindon Panel will be in operation from 10:30* so if you want a look ahead of the crowd we'd be pleased to see you, be sure to  introduce yourself.

You can find us in the new building at the far end of the shop, cafe, museum row - just look for the lattice post signal.

The really good news is we are the only air-conditioned building on the site so a welcome oasis on days such as we are currently "enjoying"!

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow.

Mike

* Assuming the heat doesn't cause it to throw one of it's occasional strops!

That’s great Mike thank you…. I may well pop in early…. Unless I am in behind the Saint or the Castle 😎

No idea if either are running, but we aim to get there for 10am

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m in Didcot already… We’ll, on the outskirts, anyway.

I went to Pendon today, which was beautiful and aspirational. I tried to get some focus stacked images but I’ll only know if they worked when I can get back to my computer to process them.

Then I visited Whittenham Clumps where I had panoramic vistas across the Thames valley.

Finally I went and had a look for evidence of the old DN&SR in a couple of places, including Hermitage, where I used to live.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

Hi Castle,

I am having to withdraw as well as this hot has had detrimental effect to my breathing. If we get an English summer next year I shall do my best to come.

Terry.

Hi Terry,

Staying safe is the number 1 priority. I will have another tour next year.

Hi Everyone else,

Make sure that you all have water with you - it will be a tad warm!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It was definitely on the ;very, very, warm side at Didcot.  

Thanks to Drew, Lee and co for another excellent guided tour, thanks to the Swindon Panellists for a nice Integra/HW panel to operate in simulation form and in air conditioned luxury, thanks to the GWS refreshment shop for some delectable ice cream, and very special thanks to Frank Dumbleton for the privilege of access to the GWS archive and a chance to look at  some of its fascinating contents.  I still wonder if what I was looking for is there somewhere?

Great day all round.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1