Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great Eastern Railway Clerestory 6 wheeled Carriages

Hello folks

Im busy building some Great Eastern Coaches in O gauge for the club layout, could anyone tell me if the roofs of the Great Eastern Clerestorys had Torpedo vents on them? And Bars across the windows as they had on the four wheeled GER coaches?

I have included some drawings I have knocked up below with what I know so far, any help be much appreciated

GER_CLERESTORY_BRAKE_COMP.jpg.ea2463090d021dc8d0a6f8e3eda05fcf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can tell GER Clerestory Coaches only had torpedo vents over the lav compartments.

O67hUyL.jpg

xwpgZRT.jpg

8cJFkXS.jpg

Edit:  They say, 'Don't model models', but these images of digital models might help.

ptZqrrH.jpg

yoHe7xd.jpg

Edited by Annie
added two pictures
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/04/2022 at 02:54, Annie said:

As far as I can tell GER Clerestory Coaches only had torpedo vents over the lav compartments.

O67hUyL.jpg

Edit:  They say, 'Don't model models', but these images of digital models might help.

Oh wow thanks Annie, apologies for my delayed response only just seen this, love the photo above, amazing shot of the 6 wheel all 3rd lav clerestory comp. Do you perhaps know if they did a standard all third clerestory along with this lav comp?

Many thanks

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll check through my files Rob.  When originally built the 6w clerestories were intended for use on the more prestigious GER trains so I'm not sure if they did an ordinary non-lav 3rd.  The drawing and 1914 photo I posted is for a lav 3rd.

• Like 1

I note you have drawn up a 6-wheel 3-compt. brake third with a clerestory. The quarter lights look to have radiussed corners, which is not correct for the 1896-1901 period, which I assume this represents.

John Watling's articles only mention the 1900 and 1901 Lav. Thirds to diagrams 413 and 423 and 3rd class saloons, for which no diagram number is given. Thus, so far as I can tell, those were the only 'Square Light' 6-wheel clerestories. 

Since writing that answer, having checked with the gentleman behind Basilica Fields, I can confirm that, aside from a one-off Officer's Saloon, the Lav. Thirds and Third Saloons (Dia. 7), there were no 6-wheel clerestories. What you have is put a clerestory roof on an arc-roofed Dia. 519 brake third. Very nice, but fictional. 

My correspondent further confirms that Annie is correct in stating that roof vents were only over lav. compts. (the clerestory sides had vents) and informs me that neither the gas switch nor the Automatic Brake Communication alarm gear was ever fitted to the brake compartment end of a carriage, and in fact contrary to the notes on Barnes' drawing, the gas switch and alarm gear were usually located at the same end. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I note you have drawn up a 6-wheel 3-compt. brake third with a clerestory. The quarter lights look to have radiussed corners, which is not correct for the 1896-1901 period, which I assume this represents.

John Watling's articles only mention the 1900 and 1901 Lav. Thirds to diagrams 413 and 423 and 3rd class saloons, for which no diagram number is given. Thus, so far as I can tell, those were the only 'Square Light' 6-wheel clerestories. 

Since writing that answer, having checked with the gentleman behind Basilica Fields, I can confirm that, aside from a one-off Officer's Saloon, the Lav. Thirds and Third Saloons (Dia. 7), there were no 6-wheel clerestories. What you have is put a clerestory roof on an arc-roofed Dia. 519 brake third. Very nice, but fictional. 

My correspondent further confirms that Annie is correct in stating that roof vents were only over lav. compts. (the clerestory sides had vents) and informs me that neither the gas switch nor the Automatic Brake Communication alarm gear was ever fitted to the brake compartment end of a carriage, and in fact contrary to the notes on Barnes' drawing, the gas switch and alarm gear were usually located at the same end. 

Thanks James good to know! Shame I have almost finished painting up this in 7mm and it looks fantastic! But no worries I will just use the Lav comp instead, much appreciated

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

47 minutes ago, woko said:

Thanks James good to know! Shame I have almost finished painting up this in 7mm and it looks fantastic! But no worries I will just use the Lav comp instead, much appreciated

It's a lovely coach, and clearly something that could have been built, so one for the freelancers perhaps.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes Im going to finish it anyway, but will then concentrate on the Lav comp instead 

work in progress of this 7mm fictional 6 wheel GER Clerestory 

IMG_2774.JPG.5c80ea72d2a689d374313c8894bc2644.JPG9E03F328-D539-4F5D-BA9E-9B0F45BD8048.jpg.d11f68b07c86174804cd14194d3856f8.jpg3BCC8BB1-514F-445D-8F29-7A0A4CF244AC.jpg.0444654d1a9d99cc6c766dff9b5c1fb3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Nicely done.  You've made a good job of that.  I doubt that there would be many people who would see your brake 3rd and recognise it as a 'what-if' fictional coach since it follows GER construction practices fairly closely.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Nicely done.  You've made a good job of that.  I doubt that there would be many people who would see your brake 3rd and recognise it as a 'what-if' fictional coach since it follows GER construction practices fairly closely.

Thanks Annie that is very kind :) 

• 2 years later...

Ok so 2 years later I finally get round to finishing off the GER 6 wheelers with these five coaches built to run behind my N7! Built to run on the clubs 7mm Smithfield's layout which is making its debut on June the 1st this year at Kempton Park Race course should anyone fancy popping along and seeing some O Gauge train action :)

Mean while I have a 32ft Full brake, 34'6'' 3 compartment Third, 6 Compartment Third, Luggage/Lav Comp, and Clerestory Lav all Third

clerestory_lav_third.jpg.edcde483f3ee3f116fd835fc4fb7d94f.jpg

third_2.jpg.a7b1b671a6c125a76ad777941a2fd093.jpg

thirdbrake.jpg.cbde396a8c8db2dd537e21eba7b1878b.jpg

Luggage_Lav_Comp.jpg.cf14672b94aab95bb992f49e4d4d93cc.jpg

full_brake.jpg.4528e7fac77bc587819852e7e8a866d0.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 7