An oddity - wandering Adams 0395

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

This may be of interest.

An exLSWR Adams short-frame 0395 number 28 built by Neilsons, Glasgow works number  3454 in 1885. It was sold to the government for overseas duties, seen here in Palestine sometime after 1917, scrapped sometime 1928. 

The coaches are supposed to be modified exLSWR but I have my doubts.

The LSWR number is visible on the buffer beam.

StaySafe

D63B2811-77C1-4B0B-BD35-D5EFC10BE17A.jpeg.390242e462c21884206f94a47b5a60c9.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

The window spacing matches the Eagle Saloons.  The end door appears to have been replaced with the later round-topped style.  The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh website has a photo of one of the trains, but I can't get a link to work.

Edited by petethemole

• 1 month later...

The photo in the original post was by Ron Garraway, later the father of Allan Garraway of Ffestiniog Railway fame. It was taken in summer 1918 at the newly-regauged Jerusalem station, and purportedly shows the first amnulance train there. 

The carriages are indeed former LSWR American Eagle Saloons. A dozen of them were rebuilt by the company as two 6-carriage ambulance trains for the WD in WW1 and sent to Egypt to be used on the Palestine front. The original identities of the carriages involved are given in G.R. Weddell's thorough article in the Nov. 1982 issue of Model Railway Constructor, though Mr. Weddel had little information regarding their subsequent histories.

In the Middle East the trains were numbered 6 and 9, eventually receiving numbers 48 and 51, respectively, in the unified WD series. In 1920 they were sold to the Government of Palestine and continued to be used on its Palestine Railways, which gradually converted them back to civilian use, mostly as 3rd Class carriages. Most also received replacement matchboard sides on the original (modified) body frame and thus lost their typically British turn-under section. 

The last were withdrawn from Israel Railway service c. 1954. PR/IR Nos. 314 (3rd) and 316 (Brake/3rd) are preserved, the latter as an empty shell on a frame only.

The attached photo (c. of my friend Alon Siton) shows one of the EEF's LSWR 0395s pulling train No. 6 before the addition of a double roof and side shades, in the Sinai Peninsula, probably during 1917.

רכבת אמבולנס מס' 6 בלי גג כפול עם קטר LSWR  - אוסף אלון סיטון .jpg

• Informative/Useful 1