Dave's Diesel Bodgery

Thought I'd start a thread here for my bodgery!

I'm new to all this so please be gentle  

First up is a Heljan Class 26 which will become 5335 in early 70s condition (green , plated cab doors painted blue , Class 27 engine room door on 1 side)

For now I'll just show the first modification which was to cut in the tablet catchers (none of the tablet catcher models that are available have plated cab doors) , I have only done one side for now , I did this by cutting a tablet catcher section from a scrap 26 body I had , stuck it to the cabside of the project loco using double sided and masking tape then sprayed over with some primer to leave the shape on the body ,  I then drilled a series of holes around the shape , cut between the drill holes and filed to shape the best I could , the insert behind is the part as fitted by Heljan which I have a handful of

I did the Class 27 engine room door modification too but not too happy with it so until I do better I'll not post pics of that just yet

IMG_20220424_182244_101.jpg

• Like 5

Well last night I had a second crack at inserting the Class 27 engine room door and I'm much happier with this attempt

I thought about not posting any pictures until I was done with it but then thought sod it , at least posting here I may get some constructive criticism

My method for fixing this piece in was to first fix it in place with Tamiya ultra thin fast cement then to reduce the amount of filler needed I have had a go at something I have been thinking about trying and that's sprue goo , I watch many online videos of all sorts of modelling disciplines and that's where I picked this idea up , as I had some scraps of cut up locos it is also the correct colour

You'll have to ignore the ugliness of the work in the pictures , I've since sanded the sprue goo back and I'm happy with the finish so far although it needs a little more fettling

I will post pics of the end result when I'm done with it

IMG_20220425_204402_452.jpg

IMG_20220425_205627_611.jpg

• Like 4

Morning all

A little more done last night , I think I'm almost there with it now but it's currently sat with another application of sprue goo as I managed to split the plastic on one of the joins whilst putting the body back on the chassis (I was putting it on the wrong way round!)

IMG_20220426_183212_320.jpg

• Like 5

This looks interesting. Can you explain further about the sprue goo.   I remember something similar when I used to build 1/72 model aircraft. I seem to remember it involved melting bit of plastic in MEK . I never tried it , but it sounds like a goodish idea.

Rob

Edited by RobMG
I missed out some words
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, RobMG said:

This looks interesting. Can you explain further about the sprue goo.   I remember something similar when I used to build 1/72 model aircraft. I seem to remember it involved melting bit of plastic in MEK . I never tried it , but it sounds like a goodish idea.

Rob

Rob , that's exactly what I have done , I had some offcuts from the chopped up class 27 body which I melted in MEK overnight then applied with a toothpick to the joins

• 3 months later...

Currently the Class 26 projects are on hold so to relieve recent boredom I have started converting one of my Bachmann Headcode box 24/1s to a Highland version seen as supposedly my pre-ordered  Suttons ones are at least another year away

I must question my sanity though as I'd originally planned to use Cararama VW Beetle headlights but they protrude too far for my liking (I even tested countersinking them on a scrap loco body but still looked wrong in my eye) so then I came up with the idea of using some evergreen 3mm plastic tube which I cut little pieces from then placed between my finger and a sticky back sanding disc that was stuck to a piece of wood and sanded away until they were around 1mm thick , I am quite pleased with this but a friend is going to draw them up in his CAD software and 3D print them as I really don't fancy doing them all by hand as I have a few more 24s to do as well as some 26s

Also rather than fill in the gangway doors or put plasticard over them I actually cut them out completely and stuck in some plasticard , still a bit more filling to do on the end I've done the light holes on and all the filling to do at the other end as well as drilling the holes

All in all I'm happy with how this loco is coming along but many more alterations are needed still

IMG_20220812_212904_169.jpg

IMG_20220813_080839_854.jpg

IMG_20220812_214626_655.jpg

• Like 7

Something else I'm currently working on is this new tooling Bachmann 20 , I wanted to represent this (PHOTO CREDIT TO JOHN WOOLLEY) 

20020_1978_08_Ayr

Started off as 35-355 D8015 , as  can be seen here I have painted the ends yellow and currently waiting a replacement bogie from Bachmann as it had a mismatched one with 2 different sides! , also had to do a small repair to the corner of the cab end bufferbeam as it was chipped off , nearest red paint I had is slightly incorrect but as it's going to be heavily weathered it won't really matter

IMG_20220812_225557_353.jpg

IMG_20220812_225606_450.jpg

• Like 3

Further development on the 24 last night , I purchased some resin cab roofs a while back as I wanted to model 5127/24127 with it's winged headcode box at one end , unfortunately as these were made for the old Bachmann model they are narrower than the new one so some reshaping/filling is needed , also I didn't want to replace the complete cab roof so I could keep the roof ventilators and as to not risk damaging the rivet strips 

IMG_20220817_071759_398.jpg

IMG_20220817_071920_543.jpg

• Like 5

Had a change of plan at the weekend , wasn't happy with the resin roof I fitted in the pictures above , unfortunately a brand new Heljan Class 25 has sacrificed its cab roof which is way better , still some work to do in the cantrail area and a little more filling in the join but it's getting there , also fitted the 4 slot boiler compartment blanking plates

IMG_20220822_072458_632.jpg

• Like 5

As I have several 24s to do I am also working on this one which will become 24125 , work carried out so far includes plating connecting doors and drilling out holes for headlights , fitting 5 slot boiler room blanking plates and plating the cantrail water fillers , my work on the cantrail water fillers isn't great as I used very thin plasticard due to the shape but it looks to be sagging/rippled/dented (though I doubt the work would be perfect when done on the real thing) , I may end up digging these back out and doing some plastic removal then put thicker plasticard in , will see how they look after a bit more filling/sanding

IMG_20220822_072548_168.jpg

IMG_20220822_072641_473.jpg

• Like 8

• 7 months later...

Well as per usual life and no mojo gets in the way of doing any modelling and most of these projects are unfinished/not getting finished/in the scrap parts box

Hopefully now I've started a new layout build I can muster up some enthusiasm to crack on with loco builds and modifications

Recently due to having a box full of all manner of Heljan spares including many chassis blocks etc I purchased 20 bodyshells and reckon I could probably build 10+ loco's from them

Unfortunately I have no chassis or spares for the Class 25s and the bodies I've bought bar one appear to be deco samples for the forthcoming releases

The 26s and 27s will be getting built up in some form or another 

IMG_20230403_190052_422.jpg

IMG_20230403_190102_629.jpg

IMG_20230403_190109_634.jpg

Edited by sulzer71
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/04/2023 at 13:43, sulzer71 said:

Well as per usual life and no mojo gets in the way of doing any modelling and most of these projects are unfinished/not getting finished/in the scrap parts box

Hopefully now I've started a new layout build I can muster up some enthusiasm to crack on with loco builds and modifications

Recently due to having a box full of all manner of Heljan spares including many chassis blocks etc I purchased 20 bodyshells and reckon I could probably build 10+ loco's from them

Unfortunately I have no chassis or spares for the Class 25s and the bodies I've bought bar one appear to be deco samples for the forthcoming releases

The 26s and 27s will be getting built up in some form or another 

IMG_20230403_190052_422.jpg

IMG_20230403_190102_629.jpg

IMG_20230403_190109_634.jpg

Nice set of bodies , but I fear you might have gone S.A.B.L.E. ;)

• Like 1