RMweb

Stressed with too much variety

On 26/04/2022 at 22:41, Nick_Burman said:

Is there any such page for N scale? The most thorny stuff is in that scale.

Cheers NB

Hi Nick.

There's a "GF and Bachmann sales and wants" group on FB. 

Andy

Hi all,

The easiest way round this dilemma is to run a preserved line. Then you can run what you want and no one can say it is wrong. You can even choose the line you want.  It does not have to be an existing  preserved line. You can choose your favourite line and claim it has been preserved. My next layout when I get round to building it will be Mablethorpe in Lincolnshire in the 1950s after they ended the line there, and it became a terminus. Here is the track plan. The line was ended about 300 yards past the level crossing on the right It was sadly demolished in the 1960s and all the track ripped up.

mablethorpe.gif

Edited by cypherman

M This is a really interesting thread; thanks Nick for starting it.

When I returned to the hobby about 20 years ago I chose OO by default as it was familiar from childhood. Later on I progressed to N gauge. 

The bottom line is that I, too, have quite a back catalogue of rolling stock spread across 2 gauges. 

I don't intend going back to OO gauge anytime soon. So I'm planning on ebaying it. 

But there are a couple of items that I won't get rid of; a Hornby green 08 and blue 37. Those date from my time as a young railway modeller and were presents from my parents.

The one thing about them is this. Money was tight and I had to really think about what I'd like for a Christmas or birthday present. So it's not so much that they look good that I keep them; clearly being nearly 50 years old they are of their time. What those gifts represent is that I  did think carefully about what I'm buying. 

I actually have a range of eras in N gauge, split roughly over 1970s diesels and 1950s / 60s steam and EMUs. I find my layouts hold my interest for about 2 years and then I like to start a new challenge. So having a pool of stock means I can start something easily at low cost. I don't see a reason to rationalise...

... it is difficult to forecast what any manufacturer may announce and when it will become available. Hence coherent collections of an era and a region can take some years to build up. So that has led to a few long-term (well considered, I hope) purchases. 

Andy

• Like 1