The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Art Deco Icons: London Transport

Southernboy

If anyone is interested - tonight, BBC4, 8.30.

My seat is booked :)

"David Heathcote explores the dramatic 1930s London Transport HQ in St James' London. When it was built in the1930s, it was the highest skyscraper in London. Heathcote goes behind the scenes and uncovers the story of a building so controversial that Frank Pick, who commissioned it, offered to resign from the London Underground Company, because there were so many complaints about its ambitious design.

The HQ became the nerve centre for an Art Deco transformation of the underground which remains today. David Heathcote ventures out on the Piccadilly Line to Southgate to investigate. For many it is just a crowded commuter journey to work, but Heathcote discovers a perfect example of a co-ordinated Deco look. The sleek tube station uses streamlined features, soft uplighting and chrome to create a glamorous overall effect. It may be lost on the commuters on their way to work, but for Heathcote it is a moment to stand back and enjoy the marvel that was Art Deco."

If anyone is interested - tonight, BBC4, 8.30.

My seat is booked :)

"David Heathcote explores the dramatic 1930s London Transport HQ in St James' London. When it was built in the1930s, it was the highest skyscraper in London. Heathcote goes behind the scenes and uncovers the story of a building so controversial that Frank Pick, who commissioned it, offered to resign from the London Underground Company, because there were so many complaints about its ambitious design.

The HQ became the nerve centre for an Art Deco transformation of the underground which remains today. David Heathcote ventures out on the Piccadilly Line to Southgate to investigate. For many it is just a crowded commuter journey to work, but Heathcote discovers a perfect example of a co-ordinated Deco look. The sleek tube station uses streamlined features, soft uplighting and chrome to create a glamorous overall effect. It may be lost on the commuters on their way to work, but for Heathcote it is a moment to stand back and enjoy the marvel that was Art Deco."

Thanks for the "heads up" I just caught the last 15 mins but I have the recorder set for the second program on later.

Thanks for the tip off. As a kid I travelled in Standard Stock trains every day from Arnos Grove to Oakwood to go to school. Wonderful memories of Southgate tube station came flooding back.

Seemed like yesterday, although it was nearly 50 years ago...

For anyone that missed it: Link to BBC iPlayer so you can watch it on the internet. It's only available for a limited number of days, but if you don't have time to watch it now you can download from that same link it to watch later :)

I enjoyed the programme content (some footage I hadn't seen before) but was disappointed by the presenter, David Heathcote, who at one point describes the lino finish to a ticket office as 'toilet flooring'. It would have been nice to have had a presenter who knew that in the 1930s, lino, like plastic, was a new and exciting material, I think someone who presented the programme with a little more authority and period context would have been more appropriate - understanding context is quite important in such programmes.

Elsewhere, I've just learned that iPlayer is not available in Australia and the BBC no longer has services in some South America countries. I'm very disappointed that the chance to share our views and culture with the world are rescinding. It's a big shame and a lost opportunity.

Archived