Not Stalybridge Junction,where is this?

I have a photo of a GWR Bulldog with a very long rake of 4 wheel coaches.  The previous owner or photographer has written ‘Stalybridge Junction ‘ on the back.  Now the only Stalybridge I know of is north east of Manchester, not the normal location for such a train.  There are typical GWR lower quadrant signals in the background, so I think it must be a GWR location.  But where please?

Edited by Penrhos1920

I don't think so Jonathan as the photo is probably pre 1923.  The loco has a nameplate but lost it's name in 1930.  The train looks like a pair of Birmingham district 4 wheel coach sets, possibly as many as 18 coaches.  Most were formed in 1890s until early 1920s when bogie set took over.

• Thanks 1

If the photograph is pre-1930 then no longer under copyright so please consider posting here.  You may wish to add "published under fair use" / "no claim made as to copyright or ownership".

What does Cooke say on the matter?

I’ve been looking at online historic maps and I’m convinced that this photo is neither located at Stourbridge Junction, West Mids., or Stalybridge Junction, Denton, NE Manchester.  So where is it?

• Agree 2

• Penrhos1920 changed the title to Not Stalybridge Junction,where is this?
  • RMweb Gold

The bridge in the background does have an air of GWR about it.

Including constituents there must have been about 500 signal boxes with 'Junction' in the name on the GWR. I can't think of one that could be mistaken for Stalybridge.

On top of that I can't think of a location near to Stalybridge where a GWR train with a stopping train headlamp would be seen.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1