"lift out" sections - looking for a professional builder

halsey

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm trying a bit of "lateral" thinking here to come at a problem in a different way.

I am "worrying" about future-proofing my layout before I get into next stages of ballasting landscaping etc........which as we all know is a big commitment.

There is no doubt that the corner "lift out" section of my layout will become too much for me as I get older and this is getting in the way of my enjoyment now as I can already forsee a complete rebuild on the way to solve the problem which I don't want to do as this layout has evolved well (thanks to RMW) and deserves to be a "keeper".

So my question is .............

Does anyone know of a company who could engineer and fit etc a proper hinged section for me - I appreciate this won't be cheap but it might solve the issue and prevent a rebuild so to me it would be worth it

Please don't suggest I do it myself as I know my limits and what I have built works very well for now its just that I know it won't be right for the future.

Thanks

Edited by halsey

• halsey changed the title to "lift out" sections - looking for a professional builder

Have a speak with Dan from Tunnel Lane Model Railways, he’s on Facebook and Instagram. 

He’s a professional layout builder and is brilliant. Anything from baseboards and trackwork right through to finishing scenic detail. 

If there’s anyone that could engineer a solution to help you, especially with model railways in mind, it’ll be him!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dan from Tunnel Lane Model Railways has been round and he is going to do the job for me at the end of June.

Thanks for the recommendation - I will post pictures when appropriate.

BFN

• Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Job done and VERY pleased (Thanks Dan and @LDM34046) - and don't ask me how many times I've already still 'ducked under it" 🙄!!

It lifts easily with one hand and locates with pinpoint and solid accuracy - truly life changing if that's possible/acceptable in the context of a Hobby and all done for under £200 for 8hrs work and all the bits - best money I've spent on the railway for a while - just need to fit the "frog juicers" on the 009 section for my next experiment 🙃 - I will revert to my main topic/thread from now

J

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, halsey said:

Job done and VERY pleased (Thanks Dan and @LDM34046) - and don't ask me how many times I've already still 'ducked under it" 🙄!!

It lifts easily with one hand and locates with pinpoint and solid accuracy - truly life changing if that's possible/acceptable in the context of a Hobby and all done for under £200 for 8hrs work and all the bits - best money I've spent on the railway for a while - just need to fit the "frog juicers" on the 009 section for my next experiment 🙃 - I will revert to my main topic/thread from now

J

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

Looks brilliant! Glad you got it sorted. 

• Like 1