Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"lift out" sections - looking for a professional builder

halsey

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm trying a bit of "lateral" thinking here to come at a problem in a different way.

I am "worrying" about future-proofing my layout before I get into next stages of ballasting landscaping etc........which as we all know is a big commitment.

There is no doubt that the corner "lift out" section of my layout will become too much for me as I get older and this is getting in the way of my enjoyment now as I can already forsee a complete rebuild on the way to solve the problem which I don't want to do as this layout has evolved well (thanks to RMW) and deserves to be a "keeper".

So my question is .............

Does anyone know of a company who could engineer and fit etc a proper hinged section for me - I appreciate this won't be cheap but it might solve the issue and prevent a rebuild so to me it would be worth it

Please don't suggest I do it myself as I know my limits and what I have built works very well for now its just that I know it won't be right for the future.

Thanks

Edited by halsey

• halsey changed the title to "lift out" sections - looking for a professional builder

Have a speak with Dan from Tunnel Lane Model Railways, he’s on Facebook and Instagram. 

He’s a professional layout builder and is brilliant. Anything from baseboards and trackwork right through to finishing scenic detail. 

If there’s anyone that could engineer a solution to help you, especially with model railways in mind, it’ll be him!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dan from Tunnel Lane Model Railways has been round and he is going to do the job for me at the end of June.

Thanks for the recommendation - I will post pictures when appropriate.

BFN

• Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Job done and VERY pleased (Thanks Dan and @LDM34046) - and don't ask me how many times I've already still 'ducked under it" 🙄!!

It lifts easily with one hand and locates with pinpoint and solid accuracy - truly life changing if that's possible/acceptable in the context of a Hobby and all done for under £200 for 8hrs work and all the bits - best money I've spent on the railway for a while - just need to fit the "frog juicers" on the 009 section for my next experiment 🙃 - I will revert to my main topic/thread from now

J

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

10 hours ago, halsey said:

Job done and VERY pleased (Thanks Dan and @LDM34046) - and don't ask me how many times I've already still 'ducked under it" 🙄!!

It lifts easily with one hand and locates with pinpoint and solid accuracy - truly life changing if that's possible/acceptable in the context of a Hobby and all done for under £200 for 8hrs work and all the bits - best money I've spent on the railway for a while - just need to fit the "frog juicers" on the 009 section for my next experiment 🙃 - I will revert to my main topic/thread from now

J

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

Looks brilliant! Glad you got it sorted. 

• Like 1