Hair Spray /weathering powders

I've heard that it is possible to seal on weathering powders with common a garden hair spray. Has anyone does this and if so what type of spray did you use and is it safe to use on the plastic of Bachman locos?

It was mentioned several times on the old forum and the consunsus was to use the cheepest you could find. I have used TESCO own brand in the past but have since moved on to using Testers Dullcote instead. However, both media will subdue the effect of the weathering so you need to go a little OTT before sealing.

That doesn't really work, TBH, you'll get a sheen if you're using it as a varnish and it's designed to be easily removed with water, so will wear off quite readily.

What should I be using then?

What should I be using then?

I'd try a good aerosol matt (or semi) varnish. I like Windsor & Newton (though I've never used them with weathering powders). Try your technique on a piece of scrap plastic or an old wagon side before attacking your models! I'd try to dust a couple of very light dry coats on rather than "wetting" the surface, this should stop the weathering powders from clumping or washing off. Alternatively an artists fixative specifically for use with charcoal or pastels might be worth a try?

Actually, looking on the W&N website trying to find the product I use, I can't (find it)! Have a wander down to your local art or craft shop, it might be you can't order aerosols off the tinternet. I went through loads of different matt varnishes before finding the W&N one (good and matt and doesn't cause a colour shift) I'll be gutted if they've stopped making it!

I used to use the Humbrol Acrylic varnish from their old range and it was fantastic... and then they stopped making it:(

I'd try a good aerosol matt (or semi) varnish. I like Windsor & Newton (though I've never used them with weathering powders). Try your technique on a piece of scrap plastic or an old wagon side before attacking your models! I'd try to dust a couple of very light dry coats on rather than "wetting" the surface, this should stop the weathering powders from clumping or washing off. Alternatively an artists fixative specifically for use with charcoal or pastels might be worth a try?

Actually, looking on the W&N website trying to find the product I use, I can't (find it)! Have a wander down to your local art or craft shop, it might be you can't order aerosols off the tinternet. I went through loads of different matt varnishes before finding the W&N one (good and matt and doesn't cause a colour shift) I'll be gutted if they've stopped making it!

I used to use the Humbrol Acrylic varnish from their old range and it was fantastic... and then they stopped making it:(

The spot-on advice I was looking for. Thank you

You mean one of these? http://www.jerrysart...tist-Sprays.htm

May be some local rule in the UK......note they can't be shipped by air within the USA either.

Best, Pete.

When you use a sealer (fixer) over either pigments, chalks or powders, the colours will always dull and be less vibrant than when you first applied them.

What I use, but not all the time as I do use Testors Dullcoat also, is a very light coat of Humbrol matte varnish 50-50 mix with thinners. Works perfectly.

In fact, the more I use it the more I have started to prefer it over Testors Dullcoat.

Cheers, Tony

As a semi pro painter from the wargames world, many forums are full of questions regarding what is the best varnish to use. What ever varnish you use it will have the effect of reducing your highlights. The best thing to do is if your planing to varnish is to over do the contrasts on your highlights so when you varnish it will dull it down, and then hopefully it will look just right. With practice you will get an eye for how much to highlight your weathering. As for varnish i use a mixture of blackfryers and humbrol, i will let the cans stand, and take out some of the settled varnish and remix in a seperate container, and then use on a test piece untill i am happy with the matt , i just hate any sort of gloss on what i have painted, but if your gona play around with varnish , i would really recomend have a old wagon that you can test on before you apply to your wagon. Hope this helps.

Andy

When you use a sealer (fixer) over either pigments, chalks or powders, the colours will always dull and be less vibrant than when you first applied them.

What I use, but not all the time as I do use Testors Dullcoat also, is a very light coat of Humbrol matte varnish 50-50 mix with thinners. Works perfectly.

In fact, the more I use it the more I have started to prefer it over Testors Dullcoat.

I agree with everything Tony's put here, especially the bit about Humbrol Mattcote, although Vallejo matt varnish can be used if you prefer acrylics (which I do).

All this is academic if you don't have an airbrush though - you'll need to find something suitable in an aerosol can, I'm afraid I can't help there, although the W&N stuff already suggested will probably be quite good, I've used some of their other materials.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Windsor and Newton matt and satin acrylic varnishes which are available in bottle and aerosol from most art/craft stores. Before I purchased an airbrush I used the aerosol cans and they were pretty good. Like any aerosol they need a good shake beforehand and always do a few trial "passes" to ensure there isn't any spatter.

Archived