Jouef BB66400 loco — coupling problem

D9020 Nimbus

• RMweb Gold

Recently purchased one of these new — it arrived with only one coupling fitted and the other coupling — and the mount — in "the bag". Problem is that I can't manage to fit the coupling and mount into place, so I'm wondering if there is a knack to doing this?  If not, looks like my only options are to get somebody else to fit it, or sell it on.

Is one end fitted with the 'super detail' parts?

I would have expected there to be fitting instructions.

Full model reference would also help as there have been many iterations of Jouef BB66000/66400

Edited by Gordonwis

• RMweb Gold

There was a detail part on the front end which would have obstructed the movement of the coupler but I was able to unplug it. 

The number is HJ2374S (BB66433 — sound fitted).

I'll post a picture as and when I can. The end which has a coupling fitted has it mounted to the bogie. The bogie at the "unfitted" end has a small downward pointing peg. The coupling is included in the bag of bits attached to the mount. The mount itself has a hole in the top and two springy plastic "ears"; I was expecting the NEM363 style fitting that Hornby use on their British locos.

Hi,

From your description it sounds like you have something similar to the coupling below, which may or may not be equipped with a NEM pocket (most modern ones are). I have a couple of locomotives and TGV power cars equipped with such NEM couplings, the "ears" on the side push against two ridges on the locomotive and act as springs to force the coupling to self-centre. This sort of coupling usually fits onto a peg (which you seem to have located) and is then screwed into place to ensure it doesn't drop off, so it sounds like you may simply be missing the screw. Photos will no doubt help us to find a solution for you though :D

Alan

attelage-boucle-avec-boitier-nem-pour-bb66000-bb69200-ho-187-jouef-hs1249.jpg

The coupling in the photo I posted is from a 66400 and is equipped with a NEM pocket fitted with a standard loop coupling.

I found an article with photos of someone taking apart a 66400. It looks you need to unscrew the bogie baseplate before you can fit the coupling to the peg. Then when you screw the baseplate back on it will presumably trap the coupling between itself and the bogie frame. This is only guesswork though as I've never seen the underside of a 66400. Photos here: https://lestrainsdemarin.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/la-revision-de-la-bb-66000/amp/

Alan