Dapol motorised signals and switch leads

I have just bought some Dapol motorised O gauge junction signals, and very nice they are too.

However, I would like to link them with my slow-acting Cobalt point motors, so that signals CANNOT be pulled off if the point (where the signal indicates a deviation) is set incorrectly.

The switches which connect to the operating box on the bottom of the signal post has three wires, but I am at a loss as to what they connect.

If I were to connect the ‘power’ feed wire (whatever colour that is!) through the switch built into the Cobalt point motors, would that interlock the signal with the point, so that each arm of the junction signal would only be able to be pulled off if the point was moved to the correct route?

There is a brown wire, a yellow wire and an orange wire from the switch but I don’t know what each wire does!

Can somebody help me, please?

Bill

I have found that the YELLOW wire going to the Dapol operating box fitted to the bottom of a signal is a ‘common’, while the orange and brown leads work the servo which operates the signal arm. Each signal of a junction signal post is absolutely separate from the other, so what I need is a mechanism which pulls off (sets the arm to green) one signal arm at the same time as the other signal arm is released (setting its signal arm to red!).

As bought, each signal (of a Dapol junction signal) is separately operated, so it is possible to have both signal arms pulled off, and that is just daft! I do, occasionally, want both signal arms to be at red, of course, if no trains are approaching.

However, if I were to wire up a DPDT relay operated by my Cobalt point motor, with one pole of the relay going to one side of the operating mechanism of the signal, and the other pole OPPOSITELY wired to the other signal, that might work, as long as the relay can be switched on/off by just one SPST switch like that fitted to Cobalt point motors. The relay would have to throw one way when powered and throw the opposite way when power to the relay is cut off. 
I am not able to actually TALK to electronics retailers any more since Maplins closed, so I literally do not know what to do!

Bill

You actually only need one switch to operate the signal. A change-over switch operated from the point blades will ensure that only the relevant arm can be pulled OFF. Spare contacts wired through the two ON positions of the signal* can ensure that the point can only operate in this state.

The real thing would have complicated mechanical interlocking to block undesirable operation. Both arms would have to be set ON before either could be pulled OFF. They could not operate together.

*Possibly also through the two signals protecting the point in the opposite direction.

I hope this is clear. If not I will try to draw a circuit diagram.

On 06/06/2022 at 11:52, Il Grifone said:

I'll see what I can do!

Sorry things have come up to delay matters. I'd post my rough drawing, but I'm afraid it's indecipherable.

Dear everyone,

I am pleased to report that my crude wiring diagram is correct, and now all my Dapol electrically driven junction signals are interconnected with my Cobalt point motors.

Of course, now I will have to drive my DCC sound-fitted locomotives and diesels very carefully, observing every signal before proceeding! I wouldn’t like to have a SPAD incident!

Thank you to all the people who advised me - your help has been invaluable for the many problems I have encountered over the years.

Thank you!

Bill (22932)

Too late I'm afraid but here is the rough draught. (We have been doing a translation....)

Handwritten_2022-06-11_115507.jpg

As I said, it is probably completely unintelligible!

Basically it only allows the point to be thrown when all the signals are ON. It then ensures that only one of the correct signals can be cleared.

Edited by Il Grifone