PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market

whart57

24 minutes ago, NCB said:

Steve Flint in RM has an interesting article on TT-120 which includes a diorama of what it might look like; as well as the Peco stuff it includes other items which seem to been borrowed from other scales. I found it not that obvious which scale; the only obvious one to me was the N Scamell by the goods shed. All the other stuff seemed to fit in pretty well.

I'm guessing that the station fencing is Ratio N. The double track road overbridge is probably a single track 4mm Peco product. The station lamps are probably N. All in all an interesting mix of scales.

Regarding buildings, it's worth remembering that many older town centres have buildings which, when looked at closely, are quite decorative, and I've often thought that some of the Continental buildings could be quite easily modified. Auhagen also do quite a range of 1:120 modern buildings that could probably be used as well. Just watch out for their 1:100 (TT/H0 range)!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

I did say MOST not all.  What does get me when others, usually scale boys, try to tell others what to do and expect non scale to follow their way or nothing.  I never criticise scale models but get fed up with those owners looking down on us as if we should not exist. Not only on here but in the 3mm world too. 

Your flanges might be big....your tread may be wide....your track is a bit narrow...but its all trains ! ( and as bonus 1:101ish....!) If it goes round and round and stops when it should who cares.....your train set your rules...enjoy

As a side issue your 'train set' runs and looks well on vid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, NCB said:

edit: also includes a Collett 0-4-2 and autocoach. Is it N, 3mm, or mockup of   TT-120 version. Dunno.

You need to read a bit further into the magazine, they are 3D prints to 1:120 scale to illustrate what could be possible.

4 hours ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

As for Continental, why would I want that when I only like British outline and have NO interest in anything foreign?

Tillig 02638... it's British (Army of the Rhine)... limited edition from 2002 so not super easy to find, but it exists.

02638.jpg.8375777d4cbf7e2bf5a05b1043f9e803.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, britishcolumbian said:

Tillig 02638... it's British (Army of the Rhine)... limited edition from 2002 so not super easy to find, but it exists.

Thanks but I did forget to say I don't do industrial etc.  An 03 and 08 then mainline diesels but mostly steam (not industrial again though).  I run anything from the Stirling Single to Evening Star, from the 03 to Deltics to EM2, AL1 to emu's/dmu's all that run on mainline lines goods yards etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, APOLLO said:

I may have a look again at HOm track. I'm sure my Tri-ang loco wheels bottomed out and did not like the point frogs. Is the new Peco 1:120 track the same rail size as HOm or is it smaller ? (i.e what is the rail code of both systems ?)

Any return to TT will be on a small scale (!!!!!) perhaps a plank style layout and utilise my existing Tri-ang stock, The locos just about worked last time I tried them.

Brit15

I have a few Tri-ang TT-3 items left over from my youth and they're definitely not happy with Peco H0m points and even less happy with those from Tillig though old Berliner Bahn stock seems quite happy with both.

It seems very unlikely that Peco's new TT points will be coarser in their crossing and flange clearances than their H0m ones- more liikely the opposite

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

The main problem with the H0m track is the sleepers, they are for Swiss meter gauge and are therefore too big for TT120. That's why I said earlier that I'd like to see a photo of them alongside each other. Someone has put a photo of a point on FB and said they thought the sleepers looked too short, but after a longer look at the photo they do look ok, just a lot smaller than the H0m ones.

To those moaning about building a layout with no stock to run on it there's a simple answer, use some Continental TT RTR as a stand in until the British stuff comes along!

I have in front of me the March 1957 Railway Modeller, the month when TT-3 was launched. For their front cover photos they used a couple of permutations of Tri-ang's suburban coaches and wagons with a Tri-ang 0-6-0T - the only loco available in TT-3 at launch- and a Rokal Pacific fitted with Tri-ang tension lock couplings. The diorama that RM used for this also appeared with some of the same stock in Peco's full page advert in the same month for theit spiked TT track. 

RM's argument was that, by the time modellers adopting TT-3 had completed initial construction of their layouts, a wider range of stock to run on them would be available. I think the first additional rolling stock from Tri-ang appeared in October that year.  

By then others, such as W&H and Eames,  were offering their own locos based on the Tri-ang 0-6-0 chassis but, apart from track, Peco got in early with wheelsets.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

By then others, such as W&H and Eames,  were offering their own locos based on the Tri-ang 0-6-0 chassis but, apart from track, Peco got in early with wheelsets.  

It seems that's the way it might go now, but with Tillig and other TT chassis and 3D prints.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hobby said:

It seems that's the way it might go now, but with Tillig and other TT chassis and 3D prints.

I've been working on a list of Tillig and other existing chassis with length over buffers, distance between bogie pivots, bogie wheelbase, and wheel diameter. I don't know enough yet about British locomotives to go as far as figuring out which of these might be useful, but I'll post it in a few days when I'm done.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

Berliner Bahn used to make that loco. I converted two into the Groudle Glen 2-4-0Ts in 012 scale in 1986! They ran well even after removing an end wheelset and jackshaft.

Dava

Edited by Dava
Spelling
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

I've been working on a list of Tillig and other existing chassis with length over buffers, distance between bogie pivots, bogie wheelbase, and wheel diameter. I don't know enough yet about British locomotives to go as far as figuring out which of these might be useful, but I'll post it in a few days when I'm done.

I hope this helps:  https://www.tt-board.de/forum/wiki/?title=Drehgestellbaukasten&fbclid=IwAR3e-gqZ6jZre4tSuzYo1oLpt10Gk4T_5wjPTjX-mC_M0eRjGFv6v3yTJng

Thanks to Benjamin Scanlon who shared it to a facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ttscale/)

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Taigatrommel said:

If only I'd have known about that three or four days ago, would've saved me a lot of time looking up the 1:1 dimensions! And this has the added benefit of having the model dimensions for some models. I did go ahead, though, and convert the dimensions to Imperial units, I'll post it all at the weekend.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Nile said:

You need to read a bit further into the magazine, they are 3D prints to 1:120 scale to illustrate what could be possible.

ah, missed that

Quick thumbnail conversion

Co-Co

Cl56: 1950+2150 about DR200/M62 of 2100+2100

Cl47/57: 7'3"+7'3" = 2200+2200 isn't really anything :(

Cl37/50/55: 6'9"+6'9" =  2000+2000 about Nohab M61

Bo-Bo

Cl26/27/33: 10'0" = 3000 about Taurus 1016 electric

Cl20/24/25/HST: 8'6" = 2600 about Br 186 electric

Cl73: 8'9" = 2650 about the same as above

Cl81/85/86/87: 10'9" = 3275 about DR 143 electric

So lots are really close, apart from the Cl47/57.

Luke

2 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

MTB makes a Romanian class 060DA/Polish class ST43 that has 1950+2150 (17000 mm between pivots)

And they were both being produced by the Electroputere factory at the same time. I wonder if they share any genetics?

Luke

3 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Quick thumbnail conversion

Co-Co

Cl56: 1950+2150 about DR200/M62 of 2100+2100

Cl47/57: 7'3"+7'3" = 2200+2200 isn't really anything :(

Cl37/50/55: 6'9"+6'9" =  2000+2000 about Nohab M61

Bo-Bo

Cl26/27/33: 10'0" = 3000 about Taurus 1016 electric

Cl20/24/25/HST: 8'6" = 2600 about Br 186 electric

Cl73: 8'9" = 2650 about the same as above

Cl81/85/86/87: 10'9" = 3275 about DR 143 electric

So lots are really close, apart from the Cl47/57.

Luke

Looks like the price of euro stock in TT will reach new highs on ebay!  bought some before brexscrewup when price was right...

Time to take some pictures I think. 

Have to hand it to piko etc as supper smooth...but!....Will the chassis block fit tt120 british stock? as only just fits 3mm locos as euro locos tend to be wider., tt120  uk locos are going to be a lot narrower ie class 25 will be 23mm ish over body prob need at least 1.5mm sides for 3d printing so 20mm block required....! When I take photos for ebay I'll measure chassis block

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

And they were both being produced by the Electroputere factory at the same time. I wonder if they share any genetics?

Luke

They're essentially the same engine. There were some complaints about the CFR version because the "CFR" lettering on the sides is printed instead of raised, but that was done so they could do the Polish version with the same tooling.

32 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

You have done more and deeper research than I did!

Luke

I started it some time ago, with an eye to figuring out what North American and Hungarian locomotives could be done with existing models, this just spurred me to finish it. Also, being involved with TT for the better part of two decades now means I've got a pretty good familiarity with all the manufacturers, including the smaller ones... (though I didn't include their products on my list because they're hard to find, or no longer in production, etc).

There's usually plenty of metal you can file away. At least that's my experience when making chassis blocks from other scales fit smaller NG locos! I've filed down old BTTB diesel and electric chassis in the past

36 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Looks like the price of euro stock in TT will reach new highs on ebay!  bought some before brexscrewup when price was right...

Time to take some pictures I think. 

Have to hand it to piko etc as supper smooth...but!....Will the chassis block fit tt120 british stock? as only just fits 3mm locos as euro locos tend to be wider., tt120  uk locos are going to be a lot narrower ie class 25 will be 23mm ish over body prob need at least 1.5mm sides for 3d printing so 20mm block required....! When I take photos for ebay I'll measure chassis block

This is the only continental chassis I have as this was the only model narrow enough to fit inside a 3mm class 20 which has a narrow bonnet. The clearance inside is 2mm or less, certainly no more.  I did have to grind/saw some lugs off the footplate to get the body to sit down. I think it is Piko and I while I admit it is a very smooth runner I don't like it as it has traction tyres so does not run often.

IMG_20220622_201708.jpg

IMG_20220622_201741.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 3

The class 20 is one of the 3D printed bodies from Lincoln-Locos who produce over 60 BR outline diesels/electrics/DMU's plus a lot of steam and the owner, Lenny Seeney, has told me he has already had enquires for 1:120 so get in touch via his website if interested.  

It would be good if you got him to make some, they are of no interest to me but, it would save my bank balance for a while lol.

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1