Is this a model of an actual prototype?

I bought a little select of loco bits recently and one of the models has me flummoxed.

It is seemingly quite well scratch built from styrene, but I have no idea if it is a (rather sombre and utilitarian) bit of imaginary modelling or is actual a representation of a real loco / wagon?

Googling the number hasn't helped either.  Is anyone able to identify this?

TIA

plasticbasher

IMG20220610142303.jpg

IMG20220610142322.jpg

IMG20220610142346.jpg

Although there are differences it looks very like the boxcab diesels built in the USA by Alco/GE/Ingersoll-Rand in the 1920's/30's. Roundhouse did a kit in HO many years ago though this is obviously not it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Fictional, but it seems to have been intended to represent an early diesel or electric locomotive.  I base that postulation on the hole in the bottom; no floor to mount a wagon underframe or bogies.  I would guess it orignially had a steam loco chassis, perhaps modified to represent a jackshaft drive.  The early BR diesel/electric loco livery (based on Ivatt's LMS 10000) is not correctly applied; the roof should be silver, along with the underframe but we don't know what colour that was painted.  There are no roof details or side louvres that suggest a diesel powered loco, and no suggestion of a pantograph if it was supposed to be an electric, which leaves a 3rd rail loco with sledge pickup or a battery electric. 

It looks to be an earlier design than the late 40s, more like a boxcab from 20 years earlier, and does not seem to be stylistically particularly similar to any of the big four's practice, though the end profile is similar to that of a GW toad.  Perhaps it was one of those projects that resulted from someone messing around with what was in the scrap box that took on a life of it's own.  Strange little horse...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Although there are differences it looks very like the boxcab diesels built in the USA by Alco/GE/Ingersoll-Rand in the 1920's/30's. Roundhouse did a kit in HO many years ago though this is obviously not it.

Much in line with my thinking; there was an Armstrong Whitworth loco in the UK around the same period that was not dissimilar as well, and some shunting engines at Ford Dagenham.  The genre seems to have originated in Soviet Russia, a perhaps surprising hotbed of railway locomotive innovation between the wars, to be stylistically at least copied in the West.  They were about 600hp, with electric transmission. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2