RMweb

How To Ensure Platform Canopy Supports Are Straight?

I am trying to add platform canopy supports to an OO platform, my first attempts failed because the uprights leaned (a little) to one side. Since there are six supports and they all leaned in different directions it was a visual disaster!

My station platform is 1930 Art Deco London Underground and they comprise I-Beams similar to the one on the left in the image below . 

All advice would be welcome!

Thanks, Simon

P1700993-393a.jpg

I would suggest it doesn't matter if the supports are slightly off the vertical providing they are all the same. So I'd set one up as near as possible using a square and use bluetac or similar to hold it while the glue dries. Then set up the next one the same way but also 'eyeball' it from the first one and so on.

Another way might be to set up the first and last posts then use a straight edge to align the intermediate ones.

Edited by JeremyC

Thanks everyone,

I do have some Lego, but need to find it - it might be in the loft.

I don't have either an engineers square or a v-block but I have some magnetic clamps from Smart Models designed to help keep walls straight when scratch building, and this together with Bluetac might be just what I need. If I find my Lego then it too will be useful to help as a scaffold.

I shall try - I have everything to gain and nothing to lose!

Simon

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2022 at 20:51, spsmiler said:

I am trying to add platform canopy supports to an OO platform, my first attempts failed because the uprights leaned (a little) to one side. Since there are six supports and they all leaned in different directions it was a visual disaster!

My station platform is 1930 Art Deco London Underground and they comprise I-Beams similar to the one on the left in the image below . 

All advice would be welcome!

Thanks, Simon

P1700993-393a.jpg

Mark a grid with the location of each column on the platform and an identical grid under the roof.

• Thanks 1