Mainline Jubilee front bogie problem

Morning

I have recently refurbished a Mainline Jubilee Loco and DCC Fitted it. The loco runs lovely and no issues fitting a chip to the split chassis. 

however I have noticed that on curves, the front bogie lifts off the rails to one side. it does not derail. the curves on the layout are 4th on the outer and 3rd on the inner. This is necessary. the bogie seems to be free to rotate when i hold the loco off the track and the wheels turn freely so am at a loss as to why it does this. 

i have attached the below screenshot from my YouTube video and you can clearly see the wheels are in the air. 

jubilee.PNG.ae41d42200805dd9853b1c6ce6705687.PNG

I will also attach a link to the video so you can see the problem as the loco runs. if you do not want to watch the whole restoration skip to 28mins and 5 seconds to see the mainline jubilee running, and the bogie lifting. 

Edited by Dan Griffin
Video link
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

however I have noticed that on curves, the front bogie lifts off the rails to one side. it does not derail. the curves on the layout are 4th on the outer and 3rd on the inner. This is necessary. the bogie seems to be free to rotate when i hold the loco off the track and the wheels turn freely so am at a loss as to why it does this. 

i have attached the below screenshot from my YouTube video and you can clearly see the wheels are in the air. 

The bogie also needs to move side to side and there's a slot in the chassis which the bogie pin slides in.  Is it free to do that?

• Agree 1

Is the bogie  too free, ie , is the T piece of the bogie that you push through a slot in the chassis and turn 90 degrees being sloppy enough to partially fall into the slot on one side as it goes through a curve. If so you can try a bit of black insulation tape down each side of the slot to slightly narrow the gap.

Edited by daltonparva

I think you've got the washer on upside down - it should be at the top of the spring and slides on the plastic slot with plenty of lube between the two. I suspect that what's happening is that the spring is catching on the plastic slot and stopping the pin sliding in the slot, it's sticking and causing the inside wheelset to unload and lift. 

I've got three serviceable Jubes here (and a couple more in the works !) and they all have the washer between the spring and the loco chassis.  

Capture.JPG

Edited by Wheatley
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Wheatley said:

I think you've got the washer on upside down - it should be at the top of the spring and slides on the plastic slot with plenty of lube between the two. I suspect that what's happening is that the spring is catching on the plastic slot and stopping the pin sliding in the slot, it's sticking and causing the inside wheelset to unload and lift. 

I've got three serviceable Jubes here (and a couple more in the works !) and they all have the washer between the spring and the loco chassis.  

Capture.JPG

Many thanks for this

i changed the washer and spring positions and it was running around curves with no issues at all. 

appreciate the help. 

Dan

• Like 1