Stone retaining walls - dimensions

I'm planning a stone retaining wall for a large part of my OO9 layout, I'll build the structure from card or thin ply and cover with a stone paper.

However, I can't find anywhere what the dimensions should be in relation to the buttresses - how far apart and how think the buttresses should be (width and depth). I don't want "railway arches", just a wall with supporting buttresses - anyone suggest dimensions or a source of such dimensions?

Thanks

I think "it depends" - how high the wall is, how stable the material being retained is, what material the wall is being built out of (large or small stone, dressed or irregular, brick etc...), and how "on the cheap" the builder was, or wasn't.  I think what looks "right" to you is probably the best guide.

9 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

I think "it depends" - how high the wall is, how stable the material being retained is, what material the wall is being built out of (large or small stone, dressed or irregular, brick etc...), and how "on the cheap" the builder was, or wasn't.  I think what looks "right" to you is probably the best guide.

I knew someone would say"depends " and of course it does. I was hoping to find a source of basic dimensions as a starting point.

• RMweb Gold

As high as needed. The landscape was there before the railway.

If the wall becomes too tall, either the railway would take another route, or there would be a tunnel.

I would suggest that you do a 3D drawing of that part of the layout. Or a 1:10 scale cardboard model so that you can see what looks right to you.. 

Only quite low walls can be built perpendicular. Most will need to be angled back into the hill (in reality thicker at the base.

• RMweb Gold

As a civil engineer student all I can say is, it's a minefield due to many factors.

If your layout is based in or on a particular area I would suggest that you spend some time looking at similar structures in that locality and base your model on those. 

For example on the Meltham branchline in West Yorkshire at one location the base of the retaining wall is supposed to be around 14feet thick due to the type of material been held back(shale if I remember correctly) I have walked the section described but cannot remember and buttresses. 

Edited by rka

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

I use these on my layout, made out of hard foam they can be cut and glued as required: Noch 58054

image.png.d134f63db7b55328db5645431d93ee12.png

That's the style (approximately) but they are expensive - €16.49 each plus shipping at €7.99. I need about 6 of them so over €100. 

However, if you can tell me the width and depth of the buttresses on those, I can replicate  using ply and printed sheets

Cheers