RMweb

Modelling Cardiff and Newport trams

I’m thinking of building some South Wales trams to go with my South Wales railways.  But where do I start?  Cardiff appears to have had the bigger system but as far as I can see there is only one kit for a Cardiff tram.  On the other hand there’s kit for at least 80% of the Newport fleet; although it appears that some of the earlier trams were rebuilt with enclosed top decks at some point.

But I’d prefer to model Cardiff trams as they fit better with my existing modelling.  Does anyone know of other Cardiff tram kits or kits that can be altered to suit?

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

I’m thinking of building some South Wales trams to go with my South Wales railways.  But where do I start?  Cardiff appears to have had the bigger system but as far as I can see there is only one kit for a Cardiff tram.  On the other hand there’s kit for at least 80% of the Newport fleet; although it appears that some of the earlier trams were rebuilt with enclosed top decks at some point.

But I’d prefer to model Cardiff trams as they fit better with my existing modelling.  Does anyone know of other Cardiff tram kits or kits that can be altered to suit?

can I assume that we are talking 4mm / foot ?

what period are you thinking or doesn’t that matter?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, wagonbasher said:

Andy

I think Cardiff had some Dick Kerr standards, 4 wheel tram cars and they have been produced as kits in a number of forms.  Hopefully some 4mm modellers can help. 

Andy

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, xliverpoollad said:

take a look at KW Trams website.......under OO scale a  search for "Cardiiff "  shows an open top double decker kit..........hope this helps.

Alan

That is the Dick Kerr tram I was picturing.  All Cardiff trams were challenged in height due to some railway bridges in the city.  Dick Kerr provided 4 wheelers, bogie cars and single deckers,  Originally they had straight stairs with a reverse and a landing but many were changed to conventional curved stairs later.  In the 20’s many cars received balconies and enclosed vestibules, but remained open top (presumably because of the low bridges) Brush developed a low bridge design car and towards the end of the 20’s Cardiff took delivery of fully enclosed 4 wheel cars and bogie single deckers from Brush.  Some bogie open toppers ran up to 1946 and all done and gone by 1950.

sorry, don’t know much about Newport trams, other than there was an electric tramway, closed early, pre war.

Andy

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wagonbasher said:

Andy

yes 4mm,  1915 - 1925ish

thanks

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

yes 4mm,  1915 - 1925ish

thanks

so the KH Trams kit probably fits the bill, as on of the first 20 Dick Kerr cars albeit with curved stairs as per some of the modifications  and then if you want another tram, KH do sell spare parts, you may be able to cobble together an open top version with balcony.

Andy

• Thanks 1