Fitting stay alive to the new dcc ready Farish 08s

davebem

Ive got one of the new dcc ready Farish 08s running on my layout with dcc (no sound), however its stalling randomly on points.  Im thinking of taking the speaker/assembly out and replacing it with a stay alive, but it would need to be a really small unit that sits in the nose of the new chassis, approx 6mm deep by 6mm wide and 15mm tall.  Is anyone else considering this or already fitted one they can recommend?

Would a stay alive this small be that reliable?

e.g. https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/3-wire-small-stay-alive-for-zen-black-blue-decoders/

• RMweb Gold

I fitted a Zimo SACC16 board and a 470uF tantalum capacitor to my pre-sound Farish 08, with the SACC16 mounted alongside the gear tower and the capacitor in the nose where the speaker is now mounted. You could probably swap the SACC16 for a YouChoos Life Link board. The only issue with the new models is that you will need a Next18 decoder with solder pads for the stay alive and I think the only ones available at the moment are the Zimo MS series sound decoders (I stand to be corrected on that though!)

Tom.