Turning up the sound

ianp

I have bought one of the Billard autorail models recently issued by the French manufacturer REE:  https://www.jura-modelisme.fr/fr/autorail/38699-ree-modeles-revm001s-autorail-billard-a80-d-des-cfd-n313-2-phares-rouge-gris-perle.html My version is DCC with sound. The handbook says that function 14 (F14) turns the sounds up while F15 turns them down. But my hand-held controller, an NCE Powercab (eight years old) does not appear to offer a function with either of these numbers. And the ridiculously complex and opaque handbook doesn't explain how to create such functions either. In fact it doesn't mention controlling sound volume at all. How should I proceed? 

• RMweb Premium

You can reprogram an otherwise little used key on the handset to allow you to access functions higher then 12.

The Option key is the one that I've used. I don't have the manual to hand but there is a section in the manual that deals with reprogramming keys. It is a fairly straight forward task that can be achieved in a few minutes.

Once you've reprogrammed whatever key you use you simply need to press it once to gain access to functions 10 to 19, and press your chosen key a second time to access functions from 20 to 28. Each time that you press your chosen key you toggle between the two key selections.

Problem solved. The model has a Zimo decoder and CV (configuration variable) 266 controls its sound level. I went into CV266 via the initial programming procedure and increased the value within the CV a few notches. Now the sound is louder and without distortion.

• 1 month later...

Returning to this topic, my model railcar with its Zimo decoder seems to have had its sound volume (via the CV266 setting) set in the factory at 90. Altering the value of CV266 to as much as 250 seems to set the volume at its highest permitted level. I can't go any higher. Attempting to set the volume to, say, 300 or 350 is simply not accepted by the decoder. Fair enough; I don't want to blow up my decoder or micro speaker. But two questions arise. 1) am I right in thinking that 250 is the highest volume setting? And 2)  what does 250 actually mean? is it in some way correlated to decibels, or is it just some arbitrary number that means " a bit louder than the earlier setting" ?