ESU Loksound Select CV8=8 Factory or Programmer Reset?

franco330

Morning, all

Hello, i have an InterMountain ES44AC in HO with Loksound Select decoder which I bought some time ago but not used. Onchanging the address today the prime mover idles but the loco does not respond to any other instructions - motion, lights etc. Nor does it seem to recognise any of the different addresses I have changed to - not really surprising. The address displays correctly when read back. Digitrax by the way.

I have a number of similar locos which are fine and and I could use to localise the problem but I don't want to take the bodies off  to swap decoders  — yet!

My question is ‘If i do a decoder reset CV8=8 will i erase everything ior will it just take the decoder back to the state that it left Intermountain?’ I dont want to lose the sound files and other Intermountain  options!

Most documentation is ambiguous. I guess the decoder is new enough for it to be 'reset to programmer desk / Intermountain level, but I'd like some re-assurance if poossible'. Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks in anticipation.

Frank

You need to refer to the decoder manufacturer values as whilst CV8=8 will reset most decoders it will not reset all. There are also additional values that can be used in CV8 to reset different aspects, or reset to a specific state but that is totally dependent upon each OEM.

Thanks both. Iain, I hear what you say Iain about specifics and I do know which decoder etc, but I think I am missing a convention here.  When folks talk about a decoder reset is it usually to clear all the user variations back to as it came out of he box from say Bachmann, Intermountain , or does it mean completely erasing ell programmed data so that it needs to be re-blown?  Thanks again

And I'm off to read LIJ's link more deeply.

37 minutes ago, franco330 said:

Thanks both. Iain, I hear what you say Iain about specifics and I do know which decoder etc, but I think I am missing a convention here.  When folks talk about a decoder reset is it usually to clear all the user variations back to as it came out of he box from say Bachmann, Intermountain , or does it mean completely erasing ell programmed data so that it needs to be re-blown?  Thanks again

And I'm off to read LIJ's link more deeply.

reset goes back to factory settings, NO loss of sounds