08 connecting rods not working?

Hello. I have a Bachman 08, which was converted to EM by a previous owner. I don’t know if the connecting rods have been changed or not, but the front 2 wheels no longer turn. The rear wheels are driven by the motor and the front 2 wheel sets are driven by the connecting rods from the rear. There seems to be something stopping the front wheels from being driven, although both turn ok by hand.

Any thoughts?

Take them off - shifted cranks I gather is a reasonably common issue with full-size 08s and I know one that for the last few years has been going around without its rods as a result (though I understand some consideration has been given to putting them back on).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

Is the quartering correct? It's critical enough normally without the added complication of outside cranks.

I'm assuming the front axle is not seized in the frames.

Thanks, I hadn’t checked the quartering, could be a good shout. The front 2 pairs move freely, but do seem to be getting stuck somewhere??? I’ll check quartering, thanks

3 hours ago, pompeystuart said:

Thanks, I hadn’t checked the quartering, could be a good shout. The front 2 pairs move freely, but do seem to be getting stuck somewhere??? I’ll check quartering, thanks

Hi,

Is the chassis metal or plastic. I only ask as this is one of the symptoms of mazak rot where the chassis swells and jams the wheels. Just had a similar problem with a Hornby 9F and had to replace the chassis.

• RMweb Premium

If the loco has been converted to EM by replacing the wheels/axles with such as Gibson/Ultrascale then as said the most likely cause is the push-fit outside cranks shifting on the axles thus loosing quartering. This is fairly common, and they need retaining in place with such as Loctite etc. The Bachmann original wheels/axles have the cranks locked into the wheels so they can’t shift. 

However another issue I encountered when converting mine to P4 is coupling rods with very poor/loose pinned joints in so far that they didn’t relate to the wheelbase at all. I ended up soldering them up solid to obtain decent running.

Bob

• Thanks 1

Hi All. Thanks for the help. The quartering was indeed miles out, and putting it back seems to have solved the problem. I think a little loctite on the axle/cranks might make it a perfect runner.

Thanks again to everyone who commented.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pompeystuart said:

Hi All. Thanks for the help. The quartering was indeed miles out, and putting it back seems to have solved the problem. I think a little loctite on the axle/cranks might make it a perfect runner.

Thanks again to everyone who commented.

Good. You can come and sort ours out now, then.... ;-)

British Railways class 08 diesel shunter locomotive D 3074 (08060) 'Unicorn', Wallingford. Cholsey & Wallingford Railway. 2013

• Funny 1