"Canada Day" - and a celebration of a Canadian favourite

br2975

3 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Happy Canada Day eh

Surrounded today by GP38-3s, associated slugs, a GP39-3, and the SD70M-2s that are new to this area

Whose is the GP39-3? Has a BNSF unit got that far?

22 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

I'm sorry - brain fart. GP38-2, GP38-3, and SD40s.

Was misremembering on some of the GMTX leased locos up this way.

What was the GP38-3? Asking as I know CN has two now, 7600 and 7601.

52 minutes ago, jsp3970 said:

What was the GP38-3? Asking as I know CN has two now, 7600 and 7601.

I was in Saint John, New Brunswick. 

New Brunswick Southern Railway have a relatively interesting mix nowadays - the eastside yard (where CN arrive), operations to both refinery and the three yards west, plus the port. Some "switchers", the GP38-2s and GP38-3s which I usually see working with slugs, the SD40s I typically saw leaving the west side (Lancaster) heading off to McAdam. Now with the run-through agreement with CP, and their lease of SD70M-2s, there are some pretty large locos making their way through.

Most are in their livery, but a handful of GMTX lease, including what I think is an SW1500 etc.

Edited by Nova Scotian

13 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

I was in Saint John, New Brunswick. 

New Brunswick Southern Railway have a relatively interesting mix nowadays - the eastside yard (where CN arrive), operations to both refinery and the three yards west, plus the port. Some "switchers", the GP38-2s and GP38-3s which I usually see working with slugs, the SD40s I typically saw leaving the west side (Lancaster) heading off to McAdam. Now with the run-through agreement with CP, and their lease of SD70M-2s, there are some pretty large locos making their way through.

Most are in their livery, but a handful of GMTX lease, including what I think is an SW1500 etc.

I was lucky enough to see NBSR SD70M-2 6401 heading east on CP's Belleville Sub while on delivery.

I guess it may only be a matter of time before either CP or CN absorb the NBSR.

2 hours ago, jsp3970 said:

I was lucky enough to see NBSR SD70M-2 6401 heading east on CP's Belleville Sub while on delivery.

I guess it may only be a matter of time before either CP or CN absorb the NBSR.

Given the structure I can't see that happening. The company that owns NBSR (and NBM etc) has significant industrial interests served by that rail line. It does not make sense to me that they would give up control.

CN are the only game in town in Halifax, so don't see them diluting that.

CP would be more likely, as they used to own that line, but I think where they're now in a situation where there's run-through power (eg. CP locos on NBSR lines) to make it faster and more efficient, and there's obviously some partnering going on (Lancaster Logistics Park eg.) I'd say they're in a good place to be able to partner with NBSR while unlikely to be able to take ownership. 

My 2c.