The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

East Lancashire Railway Diesel Gala 2022

APOLLO

Just back from a "Grand day out" at the East Lancs Railway 2022 Diesel Gala, a strange event brought me there.

On Thursday returning by train from Manchester Airport, changing trains at Piccadilly I spied a Class 68 Nova train ready to depart to Scarbouough so I ambled across to look at a proper train (loco hauled). Two Japanese guys were there taking photos and one asked if I was going to the ELR diesel gala where a Class 68 would be making a guest appearance. I knew nothing about it but googled the said event when I got home, lo and behold 68 031 was to be there. So off I went at 7am this morning from Wigan Wallgate  by train and tram via Manchester Vic. (The Leeds service from North Western was cancelled).

The star for me was D832 Onslaught but I also managed to travel behind double headed class 20's, a class 37 rumoured soon to be scrapped (?), a class 60, and a Peak and a class 50, avoiding the bug boxes (DMU's). Not really expensive at £34 for an all day rover and I did the full line two and a half times !!

68031 Felix - A strange name that !!!

Anyway an enjoyable day out, lots of people there, all types and ages - but not a dour face or wrong word by anyone.

I'll try to add a few photos but please add some if you were there.

Thanks ELR, see you at the steam do in October.

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have thought that the designer of those took a US F-unit and sawed the nose off!

Based on the German V200 so I have read

image.png.76d33de017250d6a1b737e0b25a03853.png

Another photo

IMG_2056.thumb.JPG.5d337ec45970401942037b881b5bfd1c.JPG

Train was due out so a quick snap and quickly on board.

Brit15

• Like 1