Midland Railway Kirtley 0-6-0WT Small Well Tank Class

• RMweb Premium

Dear All,

Apologies to those who have already seen my thread on this subject in Prototype Questions, and thank you to everyone who has answered, especially @Compound2632 whose posts have been incredibly informative. It was suggested to me that I might garner additional comments if I posted here as well.

Firstly, may I apologise for my very limited knowledge of all things Midland.

I am in the process of designing a small/micro layout that I want to set in the Derbyshire Peaks area. My usual time period is 1905 give-or-take a year or two, but I'm tempted to wind back the clock into the late 19thC. I'm looking at two or three small tank locos, one of which will be a 1377 Class 0-6-0T.

Along with many others, no doubt, I find Matthew Kirtley's double-framed designs charming, and while paddling the internet (I can't surf!) I came across this:

1765191478_SmallWellTank.jpg.3edb5568f697d30036a284359eea518f.jpg

Quite delightful! I want one!!!

Its a Kirtley 0-6-0WT Small Well Tank Class. Wikipedia, that infallible 🤣 source of information, is of no help! Midland Locomotives Vol.3 by Essery & Jenkinson doesn't help, but Summerson's Midland Locomotives Vol.2 does (thank you @Compound2632!) and a copy is on its way to Victor Towers. The Midland Railway Study Centre lists some photos in its archive in the Summerson collection, which presumably are the ones in his book. The HMRS doesn't seem to have anything.

Now to the kit ☹️ Its a Peter K effort and by all accounts barely even the basis of a scratch-build.....and although their website is still running, it appears that Kemilway have gone the way of the dodo. Where did they get their info?

So, dear friends, my question is this: Where might I find information on this little gem of a loco? Ideally a drawing (ha-ha!), but some details of the class would be most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2022 at 20:39, Compound2632 said:

Once you've got Vol. 2 you'll start to get the itch to have the other three.

Volume 2 has arrived, and bizarrely, Volume 3 as well..... 🤣 now to find 1 and 4!

Looking at Volume 2, I'm all the more determined to have a model Small Well Tank, but the Large Well Tanks look rather attractive, too.....oh dear 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1