Anyone have a list of B.R. freight routing codes (late '60s - pre-TOPS)

HGR

As it says on the tin ... would anyone happen to have a list please of the routing codes as used for example on wagon labels that have the three character (e.g. two letters and one numeric digit) boxes that was used prior to the introduction of TOPS ?

Had a graze of the Internet, but nothing found.

• RMweb Gold

The codes meant different things in different places.  So my chap in WR freight planning who dealt with them had to do a different list for each major yard depending which way traffic was to be routed from that yard which in tirn depended on the train serving that location and the destination of the wagon.   Same thing - in many respects - applied to Tag Tables when TOPS came in.

Thanks for that BeRTIe. Much appreciated.

My search last week didn't throw up that one but I know of that seller, they list huge numbers of documents and there's often some real obscure gems in amongst, just takes a while to scroll through them all !

I'll get reading when it comes.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to have another historic document on the shelf…this one from 1966 and includes e.g. Hartington (High Peak) & Hanley (Potteries loop line) both of which were soon to disappear from the network. The Somerset & Dorset Joint destinations of Midford & Midsomer Norton were making their last appearance, whilst the Waverley route destinations were close to disappearing…

BeRTIe

766B97EC-A122-4317-B979-6F809A87B06C.jpeg

7EC0042D-E6C0-4D66-B3F8-947B517565D4.jpeg

F54AB023-F41E-4B61-A110-E2B547957F7D.jpeg

0CACD812-8645-44DE-9217-FE5DCDAC4C62.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 3