Dapol 08 decoder placement

Solo

• RMweb Premium

I recently purchased an 08 as my first 'O' gauge model.  It runs beautifully but upon fitting it with a sound chip I find that the movement is erratic and this seems to be the way the PCB is designed - because of all the gubbins that sit directly beneath the chip it is not possible to get it to 'bed in' snugly to the pins.  If you press down on the 21-pin part of the chip then all is well and sounds and movement return.  Has anyone else found this and what workarounds might there be to get the chip to sit level and firmly engaged?  I did notice that even the blanking plug sat this way when on DC.

19 minutes ago, Solo said:

Yes, indeed

Thought so, I have 6 of the later 08's and the PCB is different which allows the Decoder to seat properly. I also have 1 of the early 08's and like you I had problems seating the decoder as the PCB is different. I have it at an angle now and it seems fine at the moment.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Thought so, I have 6 of the later 08's and the PCB is different which allows the Decoder to seat properly. I also have 1 of the early 08's and like you I had problems seating the decoder as the PCB is different. I have it at an angle now and it seems fine at the moment.

Yes, I've been playing around with it and seems if you 'tip' it upwards and wedge a piece of tape under the end without the pins to hold it there then it's much happier - though I'm not gonna put the roof back on until I've tested it thoroughly!  Seems odd to have designed it that way.