exLSWR 0395 in Kent?

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Whilst digging thru' wiki, I found this rather puzzling image. It appears to be a standard exLSWR Adams 0395 number 344 or 3440 but the caption states that it is Headcorn on the K&ESR but no date.

spacer.png

It is puzzling because:-

• No 344 or 3440 is listed as a 0395
  • No 0395 is listed as sold to Col.Stephens
  • If it is still on the Southern stock list, what is a 0395 doing in Kent?

Maybe I am missing something?

StaySafe

It’s standing in the K&ESR platform at Headcorn, on the Colonel’s railway. I have a feeling that the Colonel may have hired 0395s, because of their suitably low axle-weight. The K&ESR was always short of workable locos towards the end, especially after their Ilfracombe Goods locos expired, and they hired-in others too, I think Terriers and possibly a P, but I’m not sure.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Another helpful soul offered this info BR database  3440 it was noted at the KES in ‘48 but lasted until ‘50 as 30576 at Guildford.

Fortunately I have a 0395 and this image saves the expense of buying a ‘terrier’ for a Col.Stephens project. 

StaySafe

Good find then.

Delving, I think that the photo is by H C Casserley, dated 26 April 1947.

Terrier 2659 was one they hired during WW2, but I’m pretty sure there were others.

PS: of course, it was Austen doing the hiring by these dates, unless The Colonel was acting ‘from the other side’.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Yes,  according to Bradley 3440 was loaned to the K&ESR in December 1941 and remained there until the end of 1949.  It was replaced by an O1 in Jan 1950 when it went to Guildford.  It was renumbered 30576 on 9/4/1948 at Ashford while still in Kent.  It was the first of the 18 0395s which became BR property to be withdrawn, in Dec 1950 due to fractured frames. 

Chris KT

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1