Hello, all the photos on my old thread seem to be non functioning, so I’m starting a new one. After a long break over the winter and spring, I finally got back to modelling, specifically finishing the Leyland halfcab I started last summer. In case you missed it, my first diecast rc conversion was this Burlingham Seagull:

The Leyland was tricky in comparison, quite a bit smaller and with a serious problem at the front. The mudguards are part of the baseplate which has to go in the bin in order to fit the motor, axles, servo etc. Also, there is very little support at the very front for the steering axle. 

So I cut the mudguards off and glued them directly to the metal body:

A76559AC-46DD-4822-8D97-66B5A204BE24.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

You can just see the plates which will hold the axle fixed underneath. Getting the exact right position was trial and error. This was really the most difficult part of the build, I will put up more photos of the complete job soon.

Here’s the progress so far.

It’s a bit smarter looking than the Seagull, with a little panel for the switch and charging socket. 

The steering looks to be toed out, which I will fix, and the servo arm is out of line with the axle which is not ideal, but I can’t do much about it. There’s not enough height space for it. I’d like to use a stepper motor, but the Deltang/Micron rc receivers won’t do that (yet).

Anyway, it does steer, so I’ll leave it for now.

Also, I’m waiting on a higher geared motor, this one is too slow. I know everyone’s longing to see the test drive, but you’ll just have to wait....

1BDA8091-5297-47D9-B479-343FDB5E56B7.jpeg

DB835E5A-5A0F-464B-9112-D2B9AE019571.thumb.jpeg.e4ce68cbd37e080e215e04cf9dfd1856.jpeg

Edited by StephenF
Add photo
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 16/07/2022 at 16:10, Regularity said:

If it breaks down or runs out of charge, can you leave it on an overbridge?

Ok, next job, convert a recovery truck (heavy duty). With a winch etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StephenF said:

Ok, next job, convert a recovery truck (heavy duty). With a winch etc.

Or call the hgv guys (Pikey, Otherplanet, Giles eg). They’d have what it takes I expect.

Cost you an arm and a leg though, shouldn’t wonder...o(

• 2 months later...

That looks good, well done :-)

Where did you get those plastic bevel gears from? I'm using brass ones from Sol Expert which cost about £15 a pair (!)

I've used motors like that with a gear ratio of 1:50 on a bus, it seems to go at about the right pace.