Hornby/Hattons small tank locos

SweenyTod1

Not sure if this has been raised before, if so, apologies. I have one each of a Hornby Peckett W4 and a Hattons Andrew Barclay. Both small 0-4-0 tank locos and therefore small motors. Are these coreless motors not suitable for feedback control or the more common type? I ask this, as an operator of an exhibition layout (Rowlands Castle), powered by Kentrol controllers, which is fine for all the resident stud of locos and EMUs.  I almost killed my little Ruston, but quickly realised my mistake, so I don't want to make the same mistake with my two lovely little tanks.

Cheers

Tod 

• RMweb Gold

Neither the Peckett or Barclay use “coreless” motors. The Peckett uses what looks like an N20 motor, and the Barclay has a small open framed motor. Should be ok with a feedback controller, though personally I wouldn’t use one. For me it’s DCC or a basic Gaugemaster.

Thank you Tim for that assurance. However, I will take extra care if I use one or both on this layout, which I don't own, so not at liberty to change the controllers without approval. The layout only comes out of storage on the odd occasions, but next time I will see if its possible to include a Gaugemaster W into the circuitry that can be switched in or out.

Cheers

Tod