Loss of volume.

Free At Last

I started up two of my Duchess locos this afternoon, they were both on shed and sounded like they were simmering quietly.
I sounded the hooter on one and then the other and noticed a complete lack of volume on the second one. These have dual speakers fitted in the tender and when first set up were that loud that I reduced the volume to 40. I checked to see if I had accidentally lowered the volume even more by the function button but I hadn't, ( I will be removing that feature soon). I wondered if a speaker had failed so checked them individually and they were both working. Not knowing where to look next I compared all the cvs with decoder pro to see if any settings had changed but nothing.

A thought came to mind and I put the loco in the fridge for a few minutes, tried it back on the track and the sound was back loud again.  
Have I been affected by the heat, 37° in my shed with 12" extract fan on, or are the Zimo decoders affected by the heat?

• RMweb Gold

Yes, heat is most probably the answer because Zimo decoders automatically reduce power to the amplifier when they get hot. The same thing happens at normal room temperatures if you don't give them enough ventilation.

So, not "affected by" but "intelligent response to" overheating!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1