RMweb

Pull out section best solution for fixing track at the join

Hello,  I have a pull out section on my layout and have used 5x5 cm copper clad pcb plates on both sides to solder my track to.  This was my first attempt and I am going to redo it as I find the plates to big and my soldering skills have got a lot better since my first cackhanded efforts.

I have looked at eBay and can find copper clad pcb but I find the sizes available to be too big and I find the pcb plates to be a pig to cut to size (I only have a hand saw) Is there a good ready cut and less obtrusive product suggestion that the great collective minds of RM Web can point me to?

thanks

Stephen

The key to this challenge lies first of all with the baseboard. Once I discovered pattern makers dowels life became much easier. I suggest that with your improved soldering skills you are ready to move on.

On 21/07/2022 at 13:16, dasatcopthorne said:

Simple.

Brass screws. Real brass not plated. The smaller the better.

Adjust them so that the rail tops match. Hide with ballast.

Dave.

Agree  For best  results I find using long screws right down into the baseboard framing, not just the surface provides the most rigid and thus accurate alignment.  With screws if the alignment goes out you can re solder them, with PCB the brass always seems to de laminate from the fibre...      If it connects to tracks at both ends  I would fit some shorter than usual track sections with generous fishplate gaps, to cope with any expansion on the moving section.  (Well a bit of a gap yesterday when we had a new UK  record temperature)  The track aligners might be worth a punt on a lift out or lifting section  but They wont work if the moving section slides sideways. 

Edited by DCB

Well I am a sucker for a gadget so I have ordered the modeltech aligners and will experiment.  But I am definitely going to also look at the brass screws  as this looks so simple.  Part of what I like about the hobby is to try something and learn as I go.  The trick however is not being afraid to pull apart and start again.

thanks everyone this has been really helpful.  

If you are using copper-clad strip that is double-sided, make sure you remove all the copper from the down-facing side before you secure it in place. I had short-circuits galore on an earlier layout. Discovered that where they had been cut into strips, it left whiskers of copper bridging the surfaces.

On 21/07/2022 at 10:21, NS Peak said:

Hello,  I have a pull out section on my layout and have used 5x5 cm copper clad pcb plates on both sides to solder my track to.  This was my first attempt and I am going to redo it as I find the plates to big and my soldering skills have got a lot better since my first cackhanded efforts.

I have looked at eBay and can find copper clad pcb but I find the sizes available to be too big and I find the pcb plates to be a pig to cut to size (I only have a hand saw) Is there a good ready cut and less obtrusive product suggestion that the great collective minds of RM Web can point me to?

thanks

Stephen

Hi,

You really do need to get a razor saw set. Makes life a lot easier. Especially a set that comes with multiple blades. They are not very expensive.

• Agree 1