ESU Powerpack Mini for Bachmann NER E1/J72 Tank

MikuMatt81

Hello everyone,

Im still new to the world of Model Railways, and was wondering if anyone can help me regarding fitting an ESU Powerpack mini.

As the thread title suggests, I have recently purchased a lovely Bachmann NER E1 0-6-0 Tank (new tool), factory fitted with an "ESU Loksound Micro V5DCC".

Now is there anyway I can fit the ESU powerpack Mini into this little loco?  The man that sold me the powerpack told me there wouldnt be space for it inside my little E1, can anyone give me hope here that it will indeed fit?

Also can someone please tell me if the unit is "plug and play", or does it need settings configured on the decoder once fitted?

thanks in advance,

Matthew

I admit to being a little confused, as I understood Bachmann shipped factory-fitted locos with Zimo decoders.   

However....   Inside the loco is a small PCB which has the decoder socket.  On that PCB are solder tags for a two-wire stay alive (the £15 Lais stay-alive units fit easily).    It has to be the fasted stay-alive fitting I've ever done; turned up at friend's place, unscrewed body, solder attach two wires, put body back, loco finished and running on the layout within 10 minutes.   

But, to fit the ESU power pack requires a 3-wire fitting, onto the decoder.   

So, the first question, is what have you actually got ?   Is it Bachmann factory fitted Zimo decoder, or are there some around with ESU decoders as well ?  (Or your supplier put an ESU decoder into the loco ? )     

And then, if wanting to fit a 3-wire stay-alive you need to attach it to the decoder, whereas a 2-wire fitting stay-alive can go onto the decoder PCB.   A two-wire stay-alive ought to work with an ESU decoder.     
The 3-wire fitting requires a CV change to enable the control circuitry in the ESU decoder.  

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann chop and change between ESU and Zimo in their factory sound OO models lately.

The Lais stay alive is the best and easiest choice for the J72, the ESU powerpack (even the mini) looks to be a tad too big for the space.