LNER/GC N4/N5 part built kit

Afternoon, after a bit of advice please. I model the early 50s on the GC London extension, and have slowly been assembling a stud of locomotive classes that would have been seen at Woodford Halse in the early 50s.

I'd been after an N5 for nearly a decade, and recently acquired the part built kit below. The sharper eyed will notice that while it has been completed as an N4 (see safety valve), it has been liveried and numbered as an N5. I know there was a slight difference in bunker length between the N4 and N5 but I can live with that (and suspect the kit was intended to cover both anyway)

So, in no particular order:

• is there a source of ross pop safety valves anywhere? was thinking about asking Bachmann as their valves on the D11/1, J11, O4 are basically what I need
  • what' going to be the best way, assuming it's possible, to remove the current safety valve
  • any recommendations on wheels/gears/motors please? It's an old kit (built and painted rather well) but obviously totally without paperwork in terms of manufacturer 

n5.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure the N5 would have had a Ross pop valve when new, and have photos., nabbed off the internet of N5s (9253; 9287; 9343) post war with what appear to be the earlier type of valve. I also have a picture of an N4 (9226) post war with pop valves. I think therefore that you may be OK keeping it as it is.

Edit - meant to add that it may well be the SE finecast kit.

More editing - Wheels can be obtained from either Alan Gibson or Markits. Motor & gearbox from Branchlines or High Level. High Level's website allows you to download a gearbox planner so you can check what fits.

Edited by Barclay
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

in early BR black, in the Woodford Halse area, I've only seen them with Ross valves. Agree the N5 (some of them) didn't have them from new. My tame LNER/BR fireman didn't even recognise the model as something I know he's fired.