00 Model EAR [59 Class] Beyer Garrett 4-8-2+2-8-4 Oil Fired

jack768

Hi all, A long time ago I bought one from Ebay 5928  Mount Kilimanjaro.

It is a static model which has plastic wheels and looks scratch built. The wheels look built as one so must be manufactured.

The chimney didn't look right to me as I went on the "Lunatic Express" a number of times in the army back in 1959.

I got a double one from the same place and years later fitted it, I was surprised to find the smoke box was solid

metal as I needed to drill it to fit the new one. A lot of it is made from wood things on it are transfers like from a magazine.

The bogies are wood and small bits stick the tanks to them. It comes to three bits and the boiler/cab bit lifts out.

The chassis of the center section is steel as magnet is attracted but the main boiler does not so must be alloy. 

I have Googled it and come up with nothing.  Has any one got any info on the OO loco ?

PICT0169.JPG

Edited by jack768
Added text
  • Like 3

AFAIK, there have never been any commercial models of EAR locos.  A couple of live steamers have been built.  The NRM has a 7.25  in gauge steamer that has been on display at York.  (They could have had one or the real 59s if they'd wanted.)  There have been some OO kits of the LMS/LNER Garratts, and perhaps your model includes parts from one of those?  Anyway, it's a very interesting model.  Rather a garish shade of red, but perhaps that's just the photo.

• Like 1