Dapol O Gauge Anchor Mount Tank Wagon

neal

Photographed when I was a teenager, it goes nicely with the Hornby version of the 20t tank alongside. The model needs to be used carefully by anyone wanting an earlier BR period - the electrification flashes need removing. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/mtd/e25e50e3c

1985917472_PER03622DapolMTD881code7F-063-005PaulBartlett.jpg.56053610374528c81dcdf5aee51b4fe7.jpg

They are noticeably smaller than the WW2 period tank that Dapol / Lionheart introduced a while ago. 

463146029_PER03627DapolMTD881code7F-063-005PaulBartlett.jpg.d3f44f2f07ec5050fff0c951552b39e4.jpg

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

They are noticeably smaller than the WW2 period tank that Dapol / Lionheart introduced a while ago. 

That is quite a contrast - be interesting to see how the larger version compares.

Re liveries, were type As generally silver and type Bs black from introduction c1950, or have Dapol just done the type As in early liveries and type Bs as they were later on?

12 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

That is quite a contrast - be interesting to see how the larger version compares.

Re liveries, were type As generally silver and type Bs black from introduction c1950, or have Dapol just done the type As in early liveries and type Bs as they were later on?

12 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Dapol have researched the liveries carefully. Many will be found on my website. A number are based on the official Chas Roberts photos of the early 1950s. 

As to size, I don't have the Heljan 22t VB tanks in 7mm and we have to wait for Dapol to do the 45T GLW. Tank barrel sizes also varied on the specific gravity of the intended load - so bromine, chlorine and acid tanks are smaller, and for the various fuel oils/petroleums Class A tanks are larger than the Class B (although this can be confused by many being lagged). 

Until the late 80s or early 90s Class A tanks were always in silver or stone, or more usually grey especially later on. They had red solebars. Class B tanks were black. Some of this colour distinction remains 'til today. 

Paul

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Dapol have researched the liveries carefully. Many will be found on my website. A number are based on the official Chas Roberts photos of the early 1950s. 

As to size, I don't have the Heljan 22t VB tanks in 7mm and we have to wait for Dapol to do the 45T GLW. Tank barrel sizes also varied on the specific gravity of the intended load - so bromine, chlorine and acid tanks are smaller, and for the various fuel oils/petroleums Class A tanks are larger than the Class B (although this can be confused by many being lagged). 

Until the late 80s or early 90s Class A tanks were always in silver or stone, or more usually grey especially later on. They had red solebars. Class B tanks were black. Some of this colour distinction remains 'til today. 

Paul

thanks Paul. I wasn't in any way suggesting they've done anything wrong, just clarifying if class B were always black or if they were also silver earlier on, which you've answered. 

As to size, yes I just meant I wonder how the larger of the new Dapol anchor mount compares to the air ministry. There is one way to find out!

Edited by Hal Nail
typos

34 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

As to size, yes I just meant I wonder how the larger of the new Dapol anchor mount compares to the air ministry. There is one way to find out!

Sorry, delete I see what you mean

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• 2 weeks later...

They are lovely models and this livery seems popular! My first impression was that it seemed very heavy. So I weighed it. Now I know there is no set standard when adding weight to kits but this model is substantially heavier than anything I've built in brass, whitemetal or plastic and subsequently weighted. I wouldn't want to have to pull too many of these up a gradient!

PXL_20220823_165228561.jpg

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Mol,

Thanks for posting the excellent pictures in a lovely setting, would make some colourful varieties for a further run, just need to sell through the initial batch first.

Cheers

Thanks! I'm happy to share my research and logo artwork if it helps.

I've got a few more on the workbench at the moment.

Cheers,

Mol