Greenford in 00 Gauge: Circa 2010-2017 (FGW, Chiltern, LU, Virgin + Plenty of Freight)

WCML100

Hi and welcome to Greenford in 00...

This thread will hopefully document the build and progress of our new layout Greenford which myself and my brother @Chris37044 are building and hopefully one day exhibit. Based on the real location from around 2010 to 2015, it will feature the unique location of the (old) run down, stripped back New North Main Line (better known now as the Acton-Northolt Line), London Underground - in the form of the Central Line (ironically the highest level of the layout), as well as the First Great Western Greenford - Paddington Shuttle and the infamous Chiltern Railways Ghost train, which has ran in different incarnations over the years through this location to and from paddington and the Ruislip area on the Chiltern Mainline.

The real location has an interesting mix (to this day) of being one of the only surviving locations in the London area to still have operational semaphore signals (which we will model) as well as a fully functioning signal box to operate them. With the interesting variation of the NNML's current form, some parts retaining a double track status where other areas have been down graded over the years to single - this neglected line now little used, does throw up some great regular ghost trains, freight and is very handy for a diversion, mainly for the GWML, Chiltern Mainline and the WCML. This is added to with a regularly serviced central line station on the line up to West Ruislip from the city and altogether means we are modelling something I don't think has been done in any form before. All these make for an interesting location, both visually with its 3 tiers, junction and bridges, signalling and associated box, as well as of course the huge variety of trains it allows us re-create within this scene.

Currently we have started the build of the main scenic baseboards and have planned the track layout as best we can. The idea of the layout is to be as accurate as possible in model form, with a few minor alterations for viewing and modelling favour. The scenic boards are currently at 14ft long and we are building this in my garage. 

Myself and my younger brother decided this was the perfect layout to build together to feed our needs of FGW, LU, Chiltern & Virgin when it comes to passengers stock but also allowing us for West London freight services running on this chord that we remember from when we were growing up, as well as the odd diversions and unique one off workings which have run through this quirky location during our period. Now I have written a lot about what potential this layout has stock wise and I will go in to more detail in separate posts on this and what it allows us to run.

For the mean time I will add a few pics of where the layout is currently at as well as a few mid-build shots.

Thanks for reading, any questions fire away!

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

IMG_0586v2.jpeg.44dfb7c5d17f04996dce815195d41068.jpeg

This shot is just after the boards have been cut and started to be assembled. This is the Main board (R/H from viewing side) which is 6ft in length, the longest board on the scenic section. This is where we were demonstrating the height differences on each of the the 3 levels (Road level at the front on the base, mid level for the New North Main Line, and back, highest level for the Central Line).

IMG_0589v2.jpeg.3ee9e960a249d3686dcf55acfe672e36.jpeg

This Wright Gemini 2 bus stood in for height testing of the levels for where one of the two roads pass under the railway.

IMG_0616v2.jpeg.664a0f9bcc6f18988a7b84748e80859a.jpeg

Finally some colour to look at on the bleak tan boards! We are not measuring the height difference accurately to what is there in real life (not sure how we would exactly! - not that were too fussed) - but wanted to get an idea of if the levels "sat right" in comparison to one another. The New North Main Line is in towards the front (single line at this point however the two adjacent lines are still in situ but not in use), with the station higher up towards the back from viewing.

IMG_0618v2.jpeg.f5c37b7b6dcfdd65721d4bf10eb71d69.jpeg

Testing the height differences next to the middle board (which is at the front of the picture), with Woodland Scenics risers.

IMG_0718v2.jpeg.cec4c04254aa35d9e4c1944c3ef336bf.jpeg

With board number 3 (to the very left of this picture), now pretty much complete, a final layout of the track to ensure all sits well and works (ie no points over joints or supports, and that the general track plans sits well). Nice to see some of the future stock on show also!

IMG_0720v2.jpeg.22b74aa2ebc17d54e7fd46b550bb097c.jpeg

A better idea of the mass junction layout with its bridges and connections! The Central Line are the two tracks spanning the gap over the junction and are not connected to the rest of the layout (or national rail in the real world!) with the intention of getting these up and running first on a semi automated running schedule to represent the real life working, of a high frequency tube line. 

Edited by WCML100
adding pics and descriptions
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Excellent, I look forward to seeing this develop.

Don't forget you have an excuse for many preserved steam locos too as the Greenford Triangle was/is regularly used to turn steam locos from Southall.

Haha yes - we are well aware! We are planning on a few heritage rakes, Tornado being one as well as this oddity below I found evidence on YouTube below! (Credit to the owners) - slightly out of our time period but was too good not to model!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One of the biggest rakes which will run on our layout is the monster hopper HKA's! Originally built for National Power for coal use, the majority were stored out of use for a time in favour of the newer EWS ordered HTA's, but DBS found work for them on aggregate flows during our time period and were usually seen running out of Acton Yard in mixed condition of repainted DB red or patchy ex NP blue and grey. This always made for an interesting rake and enough to bite (the very expensive) bullet for one. The shortest formation I can find is 15 wagons long! I like to try and replicate the real world as accurately as possible so the rake will eventually become 15 in length. As it stands, it is at 12! x3 more NP liveried ones to go! 

I wanted to get them out for size testing, as gauge of what a full(ish) length would look like. It's fairly impressive to see them all together and will take up the almost all of the scenic section when complete with a loco and the full 15 wagons. The last image below gives a good idea of the size in comparison to the scenic length of the layout.

Other large freight rakes we have building up is an 18 rake of shorter stone hoppers (made up of a mix of HOA's, IIA's, JGA's), a couple of spoil trains which runs to and from Calvert made up of a variety of box wagons, a 15 wagon long Freightliner Intermodal set, 14 wagon long Yeoman JHA's rake and a mighty 36 long PCA cement tanker rake! All which I hope will look great in prototypical lengths on our layout!

IMG_0763.jpeg.347db1aa056f6cd9bfe55912db71bc61.jpeg

IMG_0768.jpeg.f5395a7a7b5a1681f75807941e83cfe4.jpeg

IMG_0767.jpeg.82e4a1310cb612c2a628827227f071f6.jpeg

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• WCML100 changed the title to Greenford in 00 Gauge: Circa 2010-2015, Including FGW, LU, Chiltern Ghost Train, Freight and plenty of WCML / GWML and other diversions...

One of the main focus points of the layout will be the use of working semaphore signals on a modern day setting. The first (and only relatively straight out of the box) example purchased is this GWR style 'Home' working Signal from Dapol. This will become GE55. There are two others positioned in the vicinity of the layout being GE 50 & GE 41/45. I will upload a track plan soon to show the locations of the signals on the layout.

IMG_0764.jpeg.56839ace348c54c96f43b52c682e2140.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Hi,

Interesting layout and nice to see my local area being modelled, semaphores as well. will you be replciating the blue girder bridge that carries the central line over the line to west Ealing?

NL

Hi Nick,

Yes we are planning all the major features to be as accurate as possible. The blue girder bridges, signal box, semaphores (& newer LED bay signal), will all be included. We will try to replicate the road bridges, station platforms / canopies, and arches leading up to the bridges as best we can. 

We are hoping it will provide interest from all different types of modellers, considering the scope of what regularly serves location, occasionally passes through, the oddities from time to time and diversion which have happened during our time period too!

• Like 3

Here is a rough track plan of Greenford - this will be replicated as best we can, from all the correct signals (semaphore and otherwise) to relay box locations, speed restriction signs, signal box and all other railway clutter...

RED LINE = LUL / Central Line
DARK GREY = In use / Active National Rail Line

MED GREY = Out of use / run down National Rail Line

LIGHT GREY = Former National Rail Line, either partially or fully removed track.

Greenford-TrackPlan.png.383d0b34122dc1be2f80f755b3a9fc5e.png

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

wow this is looking great i love the Acton To Northolt mainline its my favourite line to travel on and its local to me , chiltern still run a 1 a week service from west ealing to west ruislip its the 2M27 11:17 service .

cant wait to see this done : )  keeping my eye on this 

Edited by Alfie1979
  • Like 1

Will follow with interest, I often thought it would make a good layout. When I worked at Wincanton I used to use the station a lot to go into see  prospective clients in Central London, Wincanton had/have a site over the road from the station, so used to drive from Chippenham to Greenford then hop on the Central line to get to where ever I was going. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/08/2022 at 23:51, Alfie1979 said:

wow this is looking great i love the Acton To Northolt mainline its my favourite line to travel on and its local to me , chiltern still run a 1 a week service from west ealing to west ruislip its the 2M27 11:17 service .

cant wait to see this done : )  keeping my eye on this 

Thanks for the comments and the photos/videos. All very helpful. 

We are looking forward to seeing it progress too :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 37114 said:

Will follow with interest, I often thought it would make a good layout. When I worked at Wincanton I used to use the station a lot to go into see  prospective clients in Central London, Wincanton had/have a site over the road from the station, so used to drive from Chippenham to Greenford then hop on the Central line to get to where ever I was going. 

To be honest, I always thought the same. My late Grandad used to take me up and down the little used Greenford Branch as a kid and it always fascinated me with its odd run down version of itself, with semaphore signals and the unique bay platform and central line mix too. 

• Like 2

Not much progress on Greenford in the last few weeks due to all the hot weather etc!

But the next stages of work are:

- Complete the final stages of construction for the 1st board (2 out of 3 already complete) 

- Cut all the holes in the underside of the board ready for wiring

- Make up the legs and supports for the 3 scenic boards

- Start on wiring and cork laying, in prep for track laying

Hopefully we can kick on with this over the next month or 2!

• Like 1

So to some Greenford stock… my recently repainted Bachmann VGA’s. 

These are based on DB’s RBA Barrier / Translator Vehicles which were converted from VGA Wagons. I have converted these from a standard Bachmann release, a full repaint, buffers removed at one (inner / MU connection) end of each vehicle and standard couplings replaced with a Dellner style coupler close to the real thing. I may replace these with upcoming release from Bachmann if they prove to be worth doing so. Halfords spray paint was used, along with RailTech Transfers which were brilliant. 

Some other projects are on the go, which I will start to post on here in due course. Happy modelling!

D0478953-F025-47E8-95C9-09D814327F11.jpeg

B59D76F6-69B0-46DF-BB1D-FE267D120537.jpeg

052AD950-223D-4595-9745-8AA237277015.jpeg

425990DE-B766-4891-A38A-2F8572D69AFD.jpeg

E05B90C8-54FC-4E8C-97B0-C9533305B91C.jpeg

8EA236F7-9C1A-4270-9854-55B43BCF3D92.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Not much more to report on the layout side of things but had this beauty out today! This FGW 165 (full conversion soon to be completed) will be the mainstay on the layouts bay platform! Operating the Greenford - Paddington shuttle back and forth! 

303EC9C8-C906-4916-BEE8-9E24CFC83C5D.jpeg.98fa1212a40e1c497ecfcfd8fb9a5ded.jpeg

D7F2EA42-D7A7-49B8-AAEA-D35000116897.jpeg

61309961-131A-4565-B442-ABB850AF4D57.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2022 at 22:15, NickL2008 said:

Not Greenford, but south of it:

Sun, shed and emptys

This is the network Rail service, calling at.. everywhere

Sunday Class 332 drag

Youll be surprised what turns up, sadly recently its gotten quiet recently, but now and again the branch throws up stuff of interest

NL

thanks, yes there is plenty of interest due to its unique location, steam engines use the triangle regularly to turn and the diversions can be of great interest too! 10 or 15 car voyagers being my favourite 😃

Edited by WCML100

Again not much progress to show currently as we haven't had much time to get on with anything on the layout as such. We have some time booked in soon to get on with a few bits. 

I have been working on some Yeoman JHA's for my brothers rake, as well as my JGA wagons for my own rake amongst a few other small projects. A sneak preview attached of one of my JGA’s in primer stage!

we have also been weighing up what to do with the eastern end nearside of the layout. It will be rather overgrown with a small stream cutting in and out of view under the many tracks. However we are stuck between deciding on a few options for this area regarding the sidings. They are either, keep as is (overgrown sidings, closest to thing we can replicate to the real location), overgrown sidings leading to a disused warehouse with rail head, or an aggregate depot entrance with railhead (based on park royal a mile further up the line in that direction…)

your thoughts and any other suggestions are welcomed!

4F90F807-DC64-446F-97C7-B0636761BEE9.jpeg

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 4